- Bob Vila TV Shows >
- Victorian Kitchen & Bath Remodel > Episode 7: Cherry Cabinets, Cultured Stone, and Cedar Deck Rails
Installing Cherry Cabinets
Project: Victorian Kitchen & Bath Remodel, Episode 7, Part 1
Cherry cabinets are going in the new kitchen of the Rowley Victorian project house. Contractor Tim Berky marks the stud lines, shims the cabinets for level, and screws them in with large-head cabinet screws. These Merillat cabinets feature solid cherry faces and doors, pressboard boxes, and drawers that are dovetailed and gusseted for strength. The kitchen island resembles an Italianate table, with rails and floating legs that are attached to the floor. Outside, the curved walls that will flank the deck stairs, the retaining walls, and the grill station are being faced with Owens Corning's Cultured Stone, a Portland cement product molded with real stone contours and mixed with iron oxides for color and variety. These flat-backed stones are easily mortared and finished with pre-cast 90-degree returns for easy corners. Last, Berky assembles western red cedar posts and rails to finish the stunning deck installation.
- Part 1: Installing Cherry Cabinets
- General contractor Tim Berky is installing Merillat cherry cabinets in the remodeled kitchen. Berky roughs in the base wall cabinet, shims it, and checks for level. Then, he screws the cabinet into the wall, and through the adjoining face frame, before trimming off the shim. Berky finishes by dressing out the toe kick with a cherry-stained board that he glues and nails in place.
- Part 2: Facing the Retaining Walls with Cultured Stone
- Part 3: Installing Cedar Deck Railings
Bob Vila undertakes the partial remodel of a historic Victorian home in Rowley, MA. The house is a classic New England gem with many partitioned rooms, plus the added appeal of a large yard with preserved wetlands beyond. From permits and approvals to the addition of a mudroom and deck, this project focuses on family space.
ALL EPISODES IN VICTORIAN KITCHEN & BATH REMODEL
MOST POPULAR CLIPS
HOUSE & GARDEN TOURS
SEE MORE IN