- Bob Vila TV Shows >
- Bob's Shingle Style Home > Episode 8: Deck Framing and Window Installation
Laying Out and Framing the Deck
Project: Bob's Shingle Style Home, Episode 8, Part 1
Framing has begun on the new backyard deck, and brickmasons repair the chimney on the third floor. The custom Palladian window from Marvin is installed in the third floor family room.
- Part 1: Laying Out and Framing the Deck
- Bob checks in with carpenter Bob Ryley as he lays out and begins to frame the deck. The original deck has been removed and new concrete footings poured. Pressure-treated lumber is used to prevent any weather damage. Ryley explains the pitch techniques used to control water flow across the structure.
- Part 2: Brick Chimney Repair
- Part 3: Installing a Marvin Palladian Window
This project centers around the remodel of Bob Vila's own gracious Shingle Style home in Cambridge, MA. It's a house with a lot of history and beautiful architectural details, many of which were obliterated in remodels of the 50s and the 70s. On the centennial of the house's construction, Bob gets together the best talents in the business to recreate and renew it to its former glory, making some important modifications along the way that will transform this into a dream house for today.
ALL EPISODES IN BOB'S SHINGLE STYLE HOME
MOST POPULAR CLIPS
HOUSE & GARDEN TOURS
SEE MORE IN
Lawn & Garden