- Bob Vila TV Shows >
- Storm-Ready Design > Episode 9: Kitchen Finishes for the Storm-Ready House
Installing the Dishwasher
Project: Storm-Ready Design, Episode 9, Part 3
Bob’s in Punta Gorda for kitchen finishes to this storm-ready home. Jack Ballantine from Ambassador Kitchens joins him for the installation of the Cardell maple builder-line cabinets with solid wood framing, maple faces, and pressboard box construction. Richard Wagner of Wagner Cabinetry shows Bob how the upper cabinets are installed on the exterior wall and the base cabinets are set for level, shimmed, drilled in place, and finished with a toe kick and maple crown molding. Andrea Johnson from DuPont Corian shows Bob some of the more than 100 colors and patterns available. These solid surface countertops are stain and scratch resistant, non-porous, and easy to clean. The new colors, like Canyon, are inspired by nature and designed to bring the outside in. Scott Lawyer, the countertop fabricator, joins Bob first to create a template for the solid-surface counters that will be made in his shop, and then to install them. The Luan template is made from blueprints, checked at the site, and set on the Corian as a cutting guide. The Corian integral sink and counter are installed. The counter sections are joined and finish sanded for an invisible seam. Mike Goodrich installs the Whirlpool dishwasher for quiet operation.
- Part 1: Builder-Grade Cabinets in the Kitchen
- Part 2: Building a Template for a Kitchen Countertop
- Part 3: Installing the Dishwasher
- Mike Goodrich from Tranquility Plumbing is in Punta Gorda for the installation of the Whirlpool dishwasher. Goodrich explains that he has cut holes through the cabinet for the drain line up top and the water line down low. The dishwasher itself is encased in insulation to keep it quiet during operation. Once the drain line has been fed through the hole and the water line attached, Goodrich slides the dishwasher into place. He adjusts the feet to get it level and checks for even spacing along the sides and top. Goodrich will use short screws to attach the clips on the dishwasher to the wood countertop substrate. This will prevent the dishwasher from moving or rocking forward when the door is open.
When hurricanes strike again and again, as they did in Florida in 2004, the effects are devastating. Bob Vila and crew work to completely rebuild a damaged house, using new standards for storm-ready housing. Along the way, Bob investigates a home's vulnerabilities in extreme weather and learns why some building systems fail and others succeed.
ALL EPISODES IN STORM-READY DESIGN
MOST POPULAR CLIPS
HOUSE & GARDEN TOURS
How are complimentary colors arranged on the color wheel?