- Bob Vila TV Shows >
- Building an Addition for an Elderly Parent > Episode 4: Metal Roofing, Solar Roof Panels, Siding, and Trim
Installing Galvalume Metal Roof and Solar Panels
Project: Building an Addition for an Elderly Parent, Episode 4, Part 1
As the house is being closed in, work can begin on the roof. Homeowner Howard Brickman decides to install a special underlayment that will allow the roof to breathe and clear any attic moisture that might build up. A peel-and-stick membrane is applied to keep out exterior moisture before the Galvalume standing-seam metal roof is installed using a steel and aluminum mix that prevents rust and deterioration at the cut edges.
The roof is finished with a set of photovoltaic panels that will absorb the sun’s energy and send it to a basement inverter that will convert it into AC power and store it for the household's electricity. If more power is generated than needed, it will be sent back along the power grid to the power utility for a homeowner's rebate to offset future energy spending.
The closing in of the house is completed with fiberglass-framed windows that feature low-e glass, a slim-profile sash, dual-operation sash that go up from the bottom or down from the top, and a tilt-in design for easy cleaning. The core humidity in the building materials is logged and the moisture is sucked out to dry the house before walls are installed and mold has a chance to take hold. Outside, preparations are underway to attach fiber cement siding and cellular PVC molding that will last without painting and can be profiled on site.
- Part 1: Installing Galvalume Metal Roof and Solar Panels
- Bob makes his fourth visit to the home in Norwell, MA. The roof, which was sheathed with Georgia-Pacific Plytanium, was put on the house in cold weather. There is concern about adhesion between the StormGuard and the roof deck so Deck-Armor is laid down between the two as a breathable underlayment. It will eliminate the possibility of frost damage. Metal roofing is installed on the addition. Hal Martin of the Metal Men explains that this roofing material offers stronger protection against rust, especially at the ends of the roofline. A ridge cap prevents rain and moisture from getting into the roof cap. Care must be taken installing the Galvalume panels because they are large and unwieldy and can bend and be scratched. The photovoltaic panels are a clean way of generating energy for the household. When the house is not using its electrical energy generated from the panels, the electricity is fed back into the utility grid, creating a credit for the customer. Many states have programs to help subsidize the cost of installing solar panels to make them more affordable for homeowners. It's worth considering given the amount of equity it builds in the house.
- Part 2: Fiberglass Windows, Sliding Glass Patio Doors, and Mold-Growth Prevention
- Part 3: Installing Fiber-Cement Siding and Cellular PVC Trim
ALL EPISODES IN BUILDING AN ADDITION FOR AN ELDERLY PARENT
MOST POPULAR CLIPS
HOUSE & GARDEN TOURS
How are complimentary colors arranged on the color wheel?