- Bob Vila TV Shows >
- Modern Colonial > Episode 22: Interior Craftwork
Project: Modern Colonial, Episode 22, Part 1
Bob focuses on the decorative interior finish work at the modern Colonial. First, he meets New England artisans Polly and Ken Forcier, who stenciling in the parlor. Ken explains how he uses a series of stencils to create a multi-layer design, and Bob tries his hand at the process. Offsite, Bob tours a selection of famous parlors featuring American decorative arts.
- Part 1: Wall Stenciling
- Decorator Leslie Curtis joins Bob in the modern Colonial project house parlor to discuss the room's wall treatments. In lieu of wallpaper, stencils are used to add a decorative touch to the interior walls, a decorating solution borrowed directly from early 19th-century America.
Artist Ken Forcier is on location to demonstrate the stenciling process, showing how the stencil patterns are laid out and applied to the wall before paint is brushed on.
Bob takes a turn at the brush, applying paint to one of the laser-cut Mylar stencils supplied by MB Historic Decor.
- Part 2: Tour the Tappahannock Room at Winterthur
- Part 3: Touring the Blackwell Parlor at Winterthur
- Part 4: Wall Stenciling, Continued
This project focuses on the construction of a Colonial-style home built with both history and the future in mind. While the 4-bedroom, 4-bath home will have a traditional exterior and interior detailing, the plan will suit the needs of a modern family, including easy-maintenance fireplaces, a great room, master suite, sun room, 3-car garage, and a large walk-out basement with plenty of room for recreation and indoor/outdoor living.
ALL EPISODES IN MODERN COLONIAL
MOST POPULAR CLIPS
HOUSE & GARDEN TOURS
How are complimentary colors arranged on the color wheel?