- Bob Vila TV Shows >
- Loft Conversion > Episode 6: Framing a Wall With Built-In Cabinets
Cabinet Boxes Installed
Carpenters David Ives and Brian Dauphine are taking on the challenge of framing and plastering a 48-foot wall with a carefully designed, and almost imperceptible, curve in it. The geometry lesson continues at the woodworking shop, where Todd Allen is building the cabinets.
Bob Vila highlights the world of stylish city living by chronicling the conversion of a loft apartment in Boston's Leather District. This unit is getting a top-of-the-line treatment: cutting edge design, custom-made furniture and casework, sleek modern fixtures, and up-to-date appliances.
Also from Loft Conversion
Bob takes a walking tour of some of Boston's best-preserved antique commercial buildings in the Leather District with architectural historian Brian Pfeiffer, ultimately winding up at the gracious brick front of the project building on Atlantic Avenue.<br> <br> The developers, Neal and Ron Gold, have gotten started converting this old fur storage building to residential loft space. Architect Greg Rochlin and carpenter Bob Ryley are on-site to consult about the possibilities for this unit.
Window installation gets underway in the project apartment, six stories above Atlantic Avenue, after Bob inspects the basement to see how the plumbing and heating installations are coming along. Also, Dan McNichol takes Bob down into the bowels of the earth to see how Boston's famous highway project, the "Big Dig", is progressing.
The plastering crew is hard at work on stilts, while Bob goes on a field trip to Cambridge, where world-renowned landscape architect Martha Schwartz has made a spacious, and imaginative, home and office out of an industrial building on the railroad tracks. Back at our site, the architect and designer have modeled some intriguing ideas for Bob.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- Before and After: 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- 15 Fast Fixes for Your Home Facade
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers