- Bob Vila TV Shows >
- Accessible Home > Episode 8: Installing a Tankless Water Heater
Installing Recessed Lighting
After installing a recessed lighting fixture in the Roxbury accessible home, Bob takes a tour of the Lightolier plant in Fall River, MA, where the fixtures are made. Back on site, a tankless water heater is installed. The heater, which is about the size of a suitcase, promises to save the homeowner hundreds in heating bills.
- Part 1: Installing Recessed Lighting
- Ed House (from Cliff Electrical Contractors) is installing recessed lighting. He and Bob discuss the thermal cutoff device, install the fixture itself, and make all the necessary wiring connections.
- Part 2: Tour of the Lightolier Manufacturing Plant
- Part 3: Installing a Tankless Hot Water Heater
This project follows an urban renewal story, involving grass-roots activism and affordable housing. Bob Vila reports on nine newly built three-bedroom homes, including one with accessibility for people with disabilities.
Also from Accessible Home
Bob introduces the nine-unit affordable housing project in Roxbury, MA, by touring the neighborhood with the community-based developers from Nuestra Comunidad CDC.<br> <br> Bob shows that here, as is often the case in urban construction projects, soil decontamination is taking place at the same time as foundation excavation.<br> <br> At another site, we meet Arnold Johnson and George Chin, contractors for the accessible hour the job, who show Bob around a unit that's already been framed.
Framing is underway on the unit of the Roxbury project that will be accessible for people with disabilities.<br> <br> George and Arnold (from Crosswinds Enterprises) explain the panelization process and what it takes to get the job done right with a building crew that's as culturally diverse as the community.<br> <br> On the roof, Jack Vieira installs asphalt shingles and flashing, while George installs special blocking inside that will be used to securely mount some safety handrails.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 10 Clever Uses for the Space Under the Stairs
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- House Quiz: Test Your Knowledge of U.S. Architecture
- 10 Things You Can Build with Plumbing Pipes
- Sweet Dreams: 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- 18 Clever and Easy DIY Ways to Use Rope at Home
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 9 No-Sew Fabric DIY Projects to Dress Up Any Room
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight