- Bob Vila TV Shows >
- Kitchen Remodel > Episode 10: Landscaping and Countertop
Project Update on the Patio and Kitchen
After a brief progress report, Bob reviews progress in the back yard, where Juan Capote and crew are planting the new palms that will shield the house from the neighbors. Bob also takes a trip to the Pompano Beach workshop, where Rick Rogers is creating a countertop masterpiece with a product called Surell (by Formica).
- Part 1: Project Update on the Patio and Kitchen
- Bob meets with contractor Ed Weller for a project update. The patio is well underway and the landscaping is beginning. A stone grill has been started and, inside, the floor is completed.
- Part 2: Surell Counterop Construction
- Part 3: Steel Kitchen Table
This project features the remodeling and expansion of the kitchen and family room of a 15-year-old suburban Miami tract house. Innovative and fun projects include walls built using insulated concrete forms, stucco application, and glass block walls.
Also from Kitchen Remodel
Bob takes a shoreline tour of Miami, his hometown, from the city center to beautiful Coral Gables, Miami's first suburb, and on to Kendall, where Teresa Lopez owns a cramped 15-year-old tract house in need of more living space. Arquitectonica's Laurinda Spear shares some eye-catching, and very tropical, ideas for the project.
Bob joins contractor Ed Weller for a look at another work in progress, a house being built using a number of techniques that are unique to tropical climates. Bob also tours the Barnacle, one of the first houses built in Dade County, to see how early settlers built to deal with the heat. Back on site, work has begun with plant removal and structure inspection.
After the new foundation is poured, Bob watches the walls being constructed using a system of stacked Styrofoam forms that are pumped full of concrete. Also, Bob tours a remarkable concrete building that's survived some of Miami's worst hurricanes: the majestic Biltmore Hotel in Coral Gables.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects Anyone Can Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 9 "Killer" Ways to Eliminate Weeds
- 142 Remarkable Houses Around the World
- Designers Reveal Today's Top 10 Bath Remodeling Trends
- 10 Ways to Live Large in a Small Space
- 11 Amazing Homemade Sheds to Inspire Your Own
- Shelf Life: 10 Bookcase Projects You Can DIY
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight