- Bob Vila TV Shows >
- Chicago Coach House > Episode 1: Coach House Tour
Tour of the Project House
Bob and general contractor Ron Gan assess the next project: a deserted old coach house. They discover several clues as to how the renovation should be done, and Bob pokes around in the attic for treasures. Plus, architectural historian Susan Benjamin takes Bob on a tour of some of downtown Chicago's 19th-century landmark buildings.
A coach house in Chicago is reborn! This project includes gutting and rebuilding the interior structure, finishing the basement, and adding a roof dormer. Local artists even show Bob how to give the newly renovated home some panache with a creative, Chicago-style decorating approach and faux-finish painting techniques.
Also from Chicago Coach House
General contractor Ron Gan explains how a ledger board is attached to the masonry wall to support ceiling joists. Plus, Ron and carpenter John Pringle demonstrate a simple way to build a set of winding stairs. Bob visits Dave Parker in Vancouver, BC to see how Parallam beams are manufactured.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 10 Unexpected Spots for Accent Colors
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- 9 Easy Ways to Kill Weeds Effectively
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 11 Homemade Sheds to Fill Your Storage Needs
- Ultimate Lawn Care Guide: 12 Steps to a Prize-Winning Yard
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight