- Bob Vila TV Shows >
- Bob's Shingle Style Home > Episode 11: Blueboard and Plastering Are Underway
Placing Windows on a Home's Facade
Project: Bob's Shingle Style Home, Episode 11, Part 1
Blue board and plastering are underway, and Bob gets quick tips from the pros on how to make the job go more smoothly. Ryley and Danny install a huge double window to let the sunlight pour into the new kitchen, and Bob takes us to Stockbridge, MA, to tour Naumkeag, a wonderful example of the grand Shingle Style by Stanford White.
- Part 1: Placing Windows on a Home's Facade
- Bob discusses "fenestration," which is the arrangement of openings—windows and doors—in a building, and then meets with carpenter Bob Ryley to install a Marvin thermopane window with true divided lights (TDL). To let in a lot of sunlight, a double window will be installed in the kitchen, which will give a view of the backyard. Bob notes the structural work that must happen before such a big opening is created. Ryley explains the window installation process, noting the flush casing and sheathing. Lastly, molding is applied to the casing for a finished look.
- Part 2: Touring the Shingle Style Naumkeag Historic House
- Part 3: Applying a Veneer Coat of Plaster over Blueboard
ALL EPISODES IN BOB'S SHINGLE STYLE HOME
MOST POPULAR CLIPS
HOUSE & GARDEN TOURS
How are complimentary colors arranged on the color wheel?