If you live in a home painted before the 1980s, chances are good that there's lead in the paint on your walls—or lurking a few coats beneath. Lead paint was banned in the late 1970s due to its toxicity. If you suspect that it's present on your walls, you can test for it using a simple test kit. Lead removal, however, should be handled by a trained professional. Common DIY activities like sanding can cause airborne particles of lead to infiltrate your house, potentially leading to serious illness.