Chandeliers have come a long way from elaborate lighting exclusively reserved for mansions, castles, and palaces of the wealthy. While there are still some stunning modern chandeliers that may only be affordable to a few with prices upward of $25,000 or more, there are plenty of beautiful and affordable choices for the typical home. These options can also adorn many spaces in a house, including the living room, foyer, and dining room.
With so many kinds available, it’s helpful to know some insider tips on how to shop for the best chandeliers for a space. Continue reading to learn how to narrow down the choices, and check out the top picks for some of the best chandeliers that can add beauty and elegance to a home.
- BEST OVERALL: House of Hampton Danesa Drum Chandelier
- BEST BANG FOR THE BUCK: Bestier French Empire Antique Farmhouse Chandelier
- BEST FOR LARGE SPACES: Sofary Spiral Raindrop Chandelier
- BEST RUSTIC: Tzoe Orb 4-Light Metal Chandelier
- BEST MODERN: Possini Euro White Flower Wide Pendant Chandelier
- BEST DESIGN: Interior Decor 12-light Firework Chandelier
- BEST FOR DINING ROOM: Sofary Rectangular Crystal Chandelier
- BEST FOR LIVING ROOM: Huntington 5-Light Candle Style Drum Chandelier
- ECLECTIC PICK: CB2 Teardrops Capiz Chandelier
- MOST VERSATILE: Possini Euro Spheres Sputnik Glass Pendant Chandelier
- BEST FOR HIGH CEILINGS: Birch Lane Freemont 4-Light Geometric Chandelier
- BEST FOR ENTRYWAY: Mercury Row Sutter 12-Light Chandelier
How We Chose the Best Chandeliers
To compile this list of the best chandeliers, we considered nearly 60 unique chandeliers from some of the best online retailers. We chose several styles—some that look like classic chandeliers, others that are a modern take on a classic look, and a few that are unique in their design. Although the cost of chandeliers can get very expensive, all of the picks on this list are under $500.
We considered different interior design styles as we finalized this list and where a chandelier light may be installed. Most of the choices can be used anywhere in the house, including the foyer, the dining area, and the living room. Many of the light fixtures also work well mounted on sloped or cathedral-style ceilings. There are also a few chandeliers that can be displayed in commercial buildings such as restaurants or hotels. Finally, our top choice can be used indoors or outdoors under cover.
Our Top Picks
Looking at the options to find the best chandelier can be a lot of fun, but it can also be challenging. To make it easier, the following are some of the best chandeliers on the market organized by category. One of these may be the perfect pick to light up your home.
For those who want the classic look of an elegant chandelier, the House of Hampton Danesa drum chandelier is just the ticket. Made with a large metal drum featuring studded gridwork and faceted glass crystal beads as well as additional hanging crystals, it exudes luxury and is an instant eye-catcher.
Measuring 17 inches in diameter and 20 inches high, this chandelier is big enough to light up a living room, entryway, bedroom, and more with four integrated 60-watt light sockets. This model can also be height adjusted to suit a given ceiling height, installed on a sloped ceiling, dimmed if desired, plus it can accommodate damp locations such as bathrooms and laundry rooms. The only downside to this option is that it only comes in one colorway and may not suit some users’ preferences.
- Weight: 8 pounds
- Dimensions: 17 inches in diameter by 20 inches high
- Materials: Metal and crystal
- Large metal drum with studded gridwork, faceted glass crystals, and additional hanging crystals
- 4 integrated 60-watt bulb sockets; should be enough to provide ample light in any space
- Can be height adjusted and can accommodate sloped ceilings if needed
- Dimming capability can create any desired ambience in a room
- No light bulbs are included with purchase; need to be purchased separately
Get the House of Hampton chandelier at Wayfair.
Classic designs like this Bestier French Empire chandelier hardly ever go out of style. The beautiful combination of quality materials is sure to dress up any home area, including the dining area, living room, or foyer. Although this is a two-bulb flush-mount chandelier, the gorgeous crystals scatter light throughout the space as if there are even more lights within it.
This chandelier is 12 inches in diameter by 18 inches high, so it would work very well in more cozy spaces like a foyer, bedroom, or even bathroom. It is compatible with many types of bulbs, including dimmable ones. Best of all, this charming piece is available at an affordable price. One downside is that assembling it may be a bit of a challenge.
- Weight: 6.09 pounds
- Dimensions: 12 inches in diameter by 18 inches high (not including chain)
- Materials: Metal and crystal
- Can be displayed in various areas of the home: entryways, offices, bedrooms, and more
- Only needs 2 bulbs instead of many to create ample light in any space
- Looks like an expensive chandelier; adds a touch of luxury to any room
- Assembly may be challenging for novices; may need more than 1 set of hands to put together
Get the Bestier chandelier at Amazon.
This breathtaking chandelier is sure to be a showstopper. And since it is meant to display in entryways, it can be a delightful showpiece that may leave guests in awe. Whether it is surrounded by other lighting or is the only light in the room, this chandelier illuminates beautifully, and it’s available in several different sizes to suit a space. This light fixture can be enhanced by choosing warm or cool light bulbs for the fixture.
While this chandelier is a glamorous choice, it can be time-consuming to assemble. Also, since it is heavy, it may require professional installation to ensure that the ceiling doesn’t collapse from the chandelier’s weight. As a statement-making light fixture, this becomes a focal decor element in any space it’s installed.
- Weight: 14.7/20.7/33.2/38.5 pounds
- Dimensions: 16 inches wide by 40 inches high; available in more sizes including 19.7 inches wide by 78.7 inches high; 24 inches wide by 120 inches high; and 26 inches wide by 137.8 inches high
- Materials: Stainless steel and crystal
- Large fixture; works well with tall ceilings or long staircases
- The combination of light and crystals creates a warm, cozy atmosphere
- Displays well near an open staircase or entryway of a home
- Available in several different sizes to fit well in any space
- The fixture could be too heavy for the ceiling box and may require structural support
- 5 light bulbs are needed for proper operation; may be hard to reach
- Assembly is not easy; may require multiple sets of hands to put together
Get the Sofary spiral chandelier at Sofary.
A rustic decor won’t be complete until this stellar chandelier is hung in the dining room, foyer, or living room. This simple vintage-looking chandelier can elevate the entertaining experience since the user can turn the light up or down as necessary. In addition, its colossal size makes it a centerpiece that won’t be missed.
The main body of the chandelier comes preinstalled. It has a 60-inch chain cord that is adjustable and can work well on both horizontal and sloped ceilings. Buyers can create the perfect chandelier lighting effect with incandescent dimmable light bulbs or opt to save energy by using LED bulbs.
These chandeliers display well in bedrooms, dining rooms, and foyers of homes but can also be used in commercial places like hotels and restaurants. However, despite its gorgeous rustic design, some may feel that it isn’t rustic enough because the white paint may not create the vintage charm they want.
- Weight: 8.5 pounds
- Dimensions: 17.7 inches in diameter by 22.5 inches high (not including 60-inch chain)
- Materials: Brushed metal
- Up-light fixture that’s easy to install; should only take 1 set of hands
- Uses 60-watt or 30-lumen incandescent, LED, compact fluorescent, or halogen bulbs for modern dining room lighting
- Dimmable when used with a dimmable light bulb; perfect for setting the ambience
- Light may not look as distressed as in the photo
Get the Tzoe chandelier at Amazon.
Not everyone is looking for a traditional style when it comes to chandeliers. For those who desire a modern or futuristic look, this light fixture can accentuate a midcentury-modern or contemporary space. This pendant chandelier only requires one bulb but disperses light through its many “petals.” As a result, it is an engaging showpiece that displays well in living rooms and dining rooms.
Even though the light is made up of very intricate resin pieces, there’s no need to worry about putting it together because it comes already assembled. However, users inexperienced with electrical wiring may need a professional to adjust the cord. The light’s elegant shape shines through after it is hung.
- Weight: 4.41 pounds
- Dimensions: 19.5 inches wide by 12 inches high
- Materials: Resin
- Airy design amplifies any light emitted; suitable for darker spaces
- Fixture comes already assembled; should take minutes to hang and begin using
- The electrical cord is adjustable; can accommodate either high or low ceilings
- The lightweight resin material may not appeal to all users’ preferences
Get the Possini white flower chandelier at Amazon.
This combination of gold-colored stainless steel and crystal unite to form a dynamic fixture. The visually active design of the Interior Decor 12-light Firework chandelier makes it feel like the light is exploding in various directions like fireworks. With its nontraditional look, it is suited for contemporary or modern decor.
Even though it may be a beautiful work of art without the light turned on, it transforms into a magical design element once it lights up. The fact that it is dimmable makes the chandelier even more alluring. Light bulbs are included with the fixture, and it works well with a horizontal ceiling or a sloped one. However, despite all of its visually exciting features, it can be challenging to assemble.
- Weight: 12.03 pounds
- Dimensions: 39.37 inches in diameter by 15.74 inches high
- Materials: Stainless steel
- Visually striking, especially with dimmable lighting for setting an ideal ambience
- Light illumination is multidirectional; can provide light to both small and large spaces
- Bulbs included with purchase for added convenience and user-friendliness
- Challenging assembly and installation; may require more than 1 set of hands
Get the Interior Decor chandelier at Overstock.
Elegantly designed in a nontraditional form, this chandelier is ideal for a home with modern decor. The transparent K9 crystals add more sparkle to the fixture, dispersing the light throughout the room in a dazzling way. Like most dining room light fixtures, its warm lights create a textural and inviting atmosphere, while cool lights really make the crystals shine. The rectangular-shaped fixture fits well over a rectangular dining table, but it could also work over a coffee table in a large living room.
Although this chandelier is an attractive centerpiece that will draw attention in any room it is hung, the fixture is very heavy. The ceiling must be assessed to determine if it can support its weight, and additional structural support may be needed. Note, too, that it is available in several different sizes. The light fixture is very delicate, so it must be handled carefully to avoid knocking off any crystal connectors.
- Weight: 25/29.8/33.1 pounds
- Dimensions: 10 inches long by 32 inches wide by 10 inches deep; also available in more sizes including 10 inches long by 39.5 inches wide by 10 inches deep; 10 inches long by 47 inches wide by 10 inches deep
- Materials: Stainless steel and crystal
- Large, long design can be used as a dining room, office, or kitchen chandelier
- Uses warm or cool light bulbs to set any desired ambience
- Cable length is customizable to suit a given space’s needs
- Fixture is very heavy and assembly is complicated; may require some professional help to secure
- Additional structural support may be needed in the ceiling before installing
Get the Sofary rectangular chandelier at Sofary.
This living room chandelier combines drum style with candelabra style. Instead of a chain, it uses an adjustable down rod that works well on horizontal or sloped ceilings in spaces like dining areas or bedrooms. This weathered gray fixture has a distressed appearance and can use up to a 60-watt bulb, which emanates a warm glow throughout the space. It is also dimmable.
Although it works well for an indoor country aesthetic, it is also suitable for damp spaces. Therefore, this piece can also be installed on a covered porch that may be exposed to moisture. While it is quite a stunning piece, it may not resemble the photo, which gives the impression that the piece is whitewashed. The product may be darker than expected.
- Weight: 14 pounds
- Dimensions: 10.75 inches long by 21 inches wide by 21 inches deep
- Materials: Distressed metal
- Fixture can be dimmable when using dimmable light bulbs; perfect for those who like ambience
- French country-inspired design is both rustic and elegant
- Height adjustable and adaptable to any sloped ceilings if needed
- Finish may not look like the image; may look more brown than white
Get the Huntington chandelier at Wayfair or Birch Lane.
Pearls aren’t the only beautiful creation that comes from oysters; the shells from oysters are harvested and handcrafted by artisans in the Philippines to create this stunning chandelier. Each capiz shell is strung and attached to a brass frame, and together they create a delicate, soft look, especially when the light is on. Although it would seem that this stylish beauty would take multiple lights, it is a pendant light taking either a 100-watt incandescent bulb or a 23-watt compact fluorescent light bulb (CFL). Neither bulb is included.
This chandelier can be a remarkable statement piece in dining areas, bedrooms, and bathrooms. While it may be easy to clean with a soft cloth, this handcrafted beauty can be very delicate. Buyers must use extreme caution when handling it to prevent damaging it.
- Weight: 16.09 pounds
- Dimensions: 27.5 inches in diameter by 23.75 inches high
- Materials: Capiz shells, iron, and brass
- Fixture comes assembled; simply wire the connections and begin using
- Ideal for dining areas, bedrooms, and bathrooms in the home
- Handcrafted by artisans in the Philippines; each fixture is unique and 1 of a kind
- Can use either incandescent or CFL light bulbs for added convenience
- Must be handled carefully as shells can be very delicate
- Light bulb is not included with purchase; needs to be purchased separately
Get the CB2 chandelier at CB2.
This chandelier combines the space-age nostalgia of the 1950s with a modern flair that can fit into a variety of interior design styles, including midcentury modern, transitional, minimalist, and industrial. The frosted glass bulbs and chrome come together to create an impeccable design that displays well in dining areas, living rooms, and areas with vaulted ceilings. This magnificent showpiece is easy to hang, has a sturdy build, and provides illumination from 15 halogen light bulbs.
While it is a striking addition to any midcentury-modern or contemporary space, the chandelier has a few drawbacks. The lights can get very hot, and the spheres surrounding the bulb may break easily if they are not carefully handled. However, replacement spheres are available for purchase.
- Weight: 13 pounds
- Dimensions: 30 inches wide by 13 inches high
- Materials: Borosilicate and opal glass, chrome
- Height adjustable and can be hung on a sloped ceiling if desired
- Includes fifteen 25-watt G9-base halogen bulbs for added convenience
- Replacement for spheres available in case of any breakage or damage
- Glass-sphere surrounding bulbs are very delicate; caution is advised while assembling
- Light bulbs get very hot; caution is required if lights have been on for some time
Get the Possini Sputnik chandelier at Target or Lamps Plus.
High ceilings require light fixtures that come with long cables for allowing light to illuminate a whole room. For those who have an array of high ceilings in their home, we recommend the Birch Lane Freemont 4-light geometric chandelier. This top pick has a maximum hanging height of 150 inches and a minimum height of 30.25 inches for ample adjustability and versatility.
When it comes to aesthetics, this lighting fixture has a contemporary style with an open frame and a central circular accent that matches many different styles of decor. Inside the light is four candelabra-style light sockets that direct light upwards and accommodate 60-watt bulbs. This fixture is also compatible with most dimmer switches, can be installed on sloped ceilings, and will not malfunction in damp conditions.
- Weight: 12.8 pounds
- Dimensions: 20.88 inches in diameter by 27.5 inches high
- Materials: Metal and wood
- Maximum hanging height of 150 inches and a minimum height of 30.25 inches
- Contemporary style and open-framed design allows for ample light transfer
- 4 candelabra-style light sockets that direct light upwards; 60 watts per bulb
- Compatible with most dimmer switches for setting any desired ambience
- No bulbs are included with purchase; may need to be purchased separately
- Some users have reported wiring defects; may need professional help to install
Get the Birch Lane chandelier at Wayfair.
The Mercury Row Sutter 12-light chandelier is a unique and striking light fixture that comes with 12 lights for ample visibility. It’s height adjustable up to 59.5 inches to suit any space and can accommodate sloped ceilings.
The contemporary design of this fixture comes in three colorways—gold, silver, and dark brown—and can be dimmed if desired. Plus, this product can accommodate type B bulbs of 40 watts or CLF 9-watt bulbs and comes with all of the necessary hardware for installation.
- Weight: 11.45 pounds
- Dimensions: 29 to 59.5 inches high by 39.5 inches wide
- Materials: Metal and glass
- 12 light sockets integrated for an exceptional amount of light
- Height adjustable; maximum height of 59.5 inches and a minimum height of 29 inches
- Comes in 3 colorways to suit any space: gold, dark brown, and silver
- Accommodates multiple bulb types; type B as well as CFL 9-watt bulbs
- No bulbs are included with purchase; may need to be purchased separately
Get the Mercury Row chandelier at Wayfair.
What to Consider When Choosing the Best Chandeliers
Chandeliers used to be considered only formal lighting, mostly in dining rooms. However, nowadays some chandeliers are quite affordable, making it easier to include them in practically any room of a home. Shoppers who are currently contemplating dressing up a room in their home with a chandelier will want to check out some tips on how to choose a chandelier that can become an ideal showpiece in a space.
Types of Chandeliers
When shopping, there are many types of chandeliers from which to choose. For example, a fancy chandelier for a grand foyer may be a tiered traditional crystal chandelier or resemble a dramatic waterfall of lights. A nostalgic option, which harks back to the days when candlelight illuminated homes, is a candelabra lamp that looks like it uses real candlesticks. Some of these modern light fixtures also include little shades around each light bulb. There also are drum chandeliers, mini chandeliers, and other modern options like Sputnik style, globe, and futuristic.
Chandeliers are available in a wide range of materials such as metal, crystal, or glass. If the goal is to match a chandelier with the kind of decor in a home, there are chandelier styles that fit many interior decor styles like rustic, midcentury modern, industrial, modern, and more. For those who aren’t a fan of dining room chandeliers with many light bulbs, there are chandelier-style pendant lights with lights that hang like chandeliers but only have one bulb in the fixture.
Size and Weight
The size and weight of a chandelier are important. If the chandelier’s weight is too heavy for the ceiling box, there’s the risk of it falling. Most boxes can typically support between 50 and 75 pounds of weight, so the ceiling will require extra structural bracing if a chosen light fixture is heavier.
The length of the wiring or chain is also important to consider. The hanging height of a chandelier depends on the room, furniture placement, and height of the ceiling. If a chandelier is desired for a living room, it can hang lower if it’s above a table than if there is nothing below it. Otherwise, family members or guests run the risk of bumping their heads each time they try to pass underneath it.
In some municipalities, there are local building codes that dictate how low a ceiling fixture can hang. The following are general recommendations for how high the chandelier should be above a table, floor, countertop, and door.
- A chandelier above a table is usually about 32 to 34 inches above the table.
- A chandelier suspended over an open floor is usually about 6.5 to 7 feet above the floor.
- A chandelier over an island countertop is typically 32 to 34 inches above the countertop.
- A chandelier suspended over a front door in the foyer is usually about 12 to 16 inches above the doorframe to allow the door space to swing open.
It’s also important to take into consideration the height of the ceiling when choosing a chandelier. If a ceiling is too high, chain links or extension rods can be added to make it long enough. However, if the ceilings are lower than average, links can usually be taken out to shorten the chandelier.
Installation and Placement
Where a chandelier hangs is an important consideration. Usually, the type of chandelier that would hang in a foyer is different from one hung in a living room. For instance, the one in the foyer may be able to hang much longer than the one in the living room because the ceiling may be higher in the foyer.
Another consideration is installation. Some chandeliers may be easy to install because they will replace one that’s already in a home. Turning off the breaker box, removing the old light, and replacing it with the new one may be as simple as disconnecting the old fixture and connecting the new one.
Other chandeliers may be difficult to install because they may require an electrician to do some rewiring. When thinking about what type of chandelier is best, make a game plan for who will install it.
Type of Bulb
Unlike lamps or other lighting solutions, a chandelier typically casts its lights upward instead of downward. However, since chandeliers usually have more than one light, they can become overpowering, particularly if they have a high wattage. The higher watts may not only give off a strong glare but may also give off an uncomfortable amount of heat with incandescent bulbs.
If the plan is to use traditional high-watt light bulbs for a chandelier, it may be a good idea to choose a fixture that’s dimmable so the amount of light can be controlled. Dimmable lighting can help create different moods, which is a pleasant option in the dining room.
Ease of Care
Cleaning a chandelier can be quite a task to complete. This is because many chandeliers have very delicate parts. Dust, cobwebs, and other elements can make some chandeliers look unsightly. Usually, the best way to keep them clean is to use a soft cotton cloth to gently remove the dust. However, if the dust and dirt are caked on from years of not cleaning it, a commercial-strength chandelier cleaning solution may be needed.
Another cleaning challenge can be trying to reach it. If a chandelier is mounted high up in a foyer, cleaning it may not be so easy. Luckily, there are cleaning gadgets and professional chandelier cleaning services that can safely and adequately clean chandeliers. To avoid the difficulty of cleaning a chandelier, it may be a good idea to choose one that is easy to maintain from a distance.
Whether you have installed chandeliers in your home or you are installing one in your space for the first time, you might be left with additional questions about chandeliers. From installation concerns to how to care for them once you’ve installed them, below are some answers to top questions about chandeliers.
Q. How high should I hang a chandelier?
The answer to this question depends on where the chandelier is hanging. If it is over an open floor, 7 feet above the floor is recommended. If it is above a kitchen island or a table, aim to hang it 32 to 34 inches above the table or island.
Q. How do I change the bulbs for chandeliers in very tall spaces?
There are long sticks with suction cups on the end that you can use to unscrew the old bulb and replace the new one in a pendant-type chandelier. However, for tall chandeliers with multiple bulbs, a platform ladder can help provide access and stability while changing the light bulbs.
Q. How do I clean a chandelier?
It is a good idea to clean a chandelier with a soft cotton cloth because paper towels may scratch the material. However, if your chandelier is too high for you to reach or you’re not quite sure which cleaners to use on the chandelier, it’s a good idea to contact the manufacturer or a cleaning professional that specializes in chandelier cleaning.
Q. What are the best light bulbs for a chandelier?
Choosing the best light bulb will be determined by the type of chandelier you choose. Some chandeliers can use incandescent bulbs, but you may want to consider using LED bulbs for energy efficiency. It’s best to go with the manufacturer’s recommendation.
Typical chandelier bulbs include the following: T6 tubular LED candelabra chandelier light bulbs, E12 flame-tip candelabra LED chandelier light bulbs, B10 torpedo blunt-tip candelabra LED light bulb, E12 flame-effect candelabra LED light bulbs, or G9 cylindrical LED light bulbs. Your chandelier may even take G9-base halogen bulbs.
Q. Can I fit a chandelier in a bathroom?
There are limits to where chandeliers can go in a house. If you want a fancy chandelier in your bathroom space, there needs to be sufficient space between it and any wet areas. It’s best to check with local building codes. Another thing to keep in mind is size. If a bathroom is small, a smaller fixture usually fits better.
Why Trust Bob Vila
Bob Vila has been America’s Handyman since 1979. As the host of beloved and groundbreaking TV series including “This Old House” and “Bob Vila’s Home Again,” he popularized and became synonymous with “do-it-yourself” home improvement.
Over the course of his decades-long career, Bob Vila has helped millions of people build, renovate, repair, and live better each day—a tradition that continues today with expert yet accessible home advice. The Bob Vila team distills need-to-know information into project tutorials, maintenance guides, tool 101s, and more. These home and garden experts then thoroughly research, vet, and recommend products that support homeowners, renters, DIYers, and professionals in their to-do lists.