The Best Throw Pillows for the Home
Breathe new life into your space by adding a few decorative home accents.
BobVila.com and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links.
- BEST OVERALLHome Brilliant Soft Striped Chenille CoversCheck Latest Price
- BEST BANG FOR THE BUCKHOMFINER Decorative Throw Pillow Covers Set of 6Check Latest Price
- UPGRADE PICKMerrycolor Farmhouse Decorative Throw PillowCheck Latest Price
Throw pillows are an easy and inexpensive way to change the look of a room. They come in a plethora of colors, textures, and styles, so there’s bound to be one that suits your taste. With so many options available, however, it can be overwhelming to pick the right one to work with your decor.
Once you learn the basics of throw pillows, such as size, shape, and insert type, the decision is easier to narrow down. Consider our guide to choosing the best throw pillows for your home.
- BEST OVERALL: Home Brilliant Soft Striped Chenille Covers
- BEST BANG FOR THE BUCK: HOMFINER Decorative Throw Pillow Covers Set of 6
- UPGRADE PICK: Merrycolor Farmhouse Decorative Throw Pillow
- LUMBAR PICK: Rivet Mudcloth-Inspired Decorative Throw Pillow
- LARGEST PICK: Kevin Textile Corduroy Solid Textured Cover
- INDOOR/OUTDOOR PICK: EZVING Geometric Cotton Linen Indoor Outdoor Covers
- DOWN ALTERNATIVE PICK: IZO Hypo-Allergenic Throw Pillow
- DOWN INSERT PICK: Basic Home Down Feather Pillow Inserts
Tips for Buying and Using Throw Pillows
Buying the best throw pillow is more than just choosing a color and pattern. When it comes to picking the perfect home accent, there are a few things to take into consideration. Most of the time you purchase pillow covers separately from the inserts. Removable pillow covers allow you to change the look of your space and make the pillow easier to wash. Washability will depend on the cover material. Some fabrics are dry-clean or hand-wash only, so be sure to read the care instructions. However, due to their popularity, many throw pillow covers are now machine washable.
Pillow inserts are available with down, down alternative, or polyester fill.
- The down filling has the greatest loft and is the most luxurious (and most expensive) option. Down is comfortable and keeps its shape very well. Down is labeled by the down/feather ratio. As the down content goes up, the form gets
- smoother, lighter, and warmer.
However, some people are allergic to feathers or down. Down alternative (synthetic down) is a hypoallergenic down alternative and gives you the loft closest to real down but without the price tag.
- Polyester is the most commonly used filling and the most economical. It can vary in density. Less dense polyester can bunch up in the insert, leaving a lump in your pillow. It is also harder to shape and has the least amount of loft.
Most people love decorative pillows because they add a pop of color and texture to their homes. Most throw pillows are square, with 18×18 inches being the most popular size. Rectangular versions are known as lumbar pillows. They are larger and are meant for use on side chairs. Other shapes available include oblong, bolster, and circle pillows.
Another option is indoor/outdoor throw pillows. They look and feel like regular throw pillows, but they are made with water- and mildew-resistant acrylic or polyester fibers to stand up to the elements. The cover is also waterproof and UV resistant. This added toughness and flexibility of use comes with a hefty price tag, however: such pillows are usually significantly more expensive.
- Pick a cohesive color palette, but don’t be afraid to mix patterns. Selecting the same shade or complementary shades will give you the most visual impact. Stick with the rule of three: one solid color, one straightforward pattern, plus one “busy” design.
- Spend more of your money on quality inserts. Pillow covers are relatively inexpensive, so buy better inserts.
- Pick a washable and removable cover. Spills are going to happen, so get a cover that’s easy to clean.
Our Top Picks
With a few features and shopping tips in mind, we’ve narrowed choices based on material, cleanability, and overall style. Among these eight recommendations are some of the best throw pillows to suit your needs.
1. BEST OVERALL: Home Brilliant Soft Striped Chenille Covers
No matter what your style is—modern, traditional or rustic—Home Brilliant’s chenille velvet cushion covers feature 13 gorgeous colors to perfectly match your furniture and decor. They are soft to the touch and have a subtle texture that makes them perfect for mixing and matching busy patterns.
Each package contains two cushion covers measuring 18×18 inches—perfect for 20×20-inch pillow inserts. The covers are made with machine-washable chenille and feature an invisible zipper, which gives the pillow a streamlined look and allows easy installation and removal of inserts. For less than $15 for two covers, this set is economical and attractive.
2. BEST BANG FOR THE BUCK: HOMFINER Decorative Throw Pillow Covers Set of 6
If you need multiple pillows, but cringe at the idea of shelling out a bunch of cash, then these modern-style covers are perfect. Made with 100 percent natural cotton woven fabric and thick vegan faux leather, these covers are machine washable except for the faux leather cover (which can be wiped clean with a cloth).
This set features a combination of geometric designs in neutral colors and one camel leather cover to add instant style to any room. The seams are double-stitched and serged for durability, and the invisible zippers give the pillows a professional and sleek look. At just under $40 for a set of six covers, you can spend the money saved on premium inserts.
3. UPGRADE PICK: Merrycolor Farmhouse Decorative Throw Pillow
The modern farmhouse trend is still going strong. This pillow cover features minimalist stripes in neutral shades of black, pink, red, green, blue, or coffee crossed with a bold faux leather band.
The removable cover measures 18×18 inches. Due to the mix of materials, the cover is hand-wash only, and air-drying is also recommended. This pillow makes a great statement piece on a side chair or front and center in a grouping. This pillow would look lovely with the HOMFINER decorative set of 6 throw pillow covers.
4. LUMBAR PICK: Rivet Mudcloth-Inspired Decorative Throw Pillow
Lumbar pillows span the width of a club or side chair, making the seat seem larger. Additionally, they can lend a splash of color while providing lumbar support. Featuring a trendy mud cloth-inspired pattern, this throw adds a bold statement to your decor.
The throw pillow features a removable plush fiber-filled insert and a hidden bottom zipper for a seamless look. It comes in two sizes and four colors to match any space. The cover is made from a durable cotton and polyester blend fabric but is not machine washable. Instead, spot clean with a damp white cloth and allow it to air dry.
5. LARGEST PICK: Kevin Textile Corduroy Solid Textured Cover
Sometimes 18×18-inch pillows just aren’t big enough. If you have large-scale furniture or just love the look of oversized cushions, you need 24×24-inch throw pillows. Made from 100 percent velvet, these corduroy pillows add just the right texture and interest to a space.
The covers are machine washable and feature a hidden zipper for a sleek look. The fabric is made with shrink-resistant material that stays the same size after every wash. Available in 10 color options, these pillows are perfect for mixing and matching with your other pillows and furniture.
6. INDOOR/OUTDOOR PICK: EZVING Geometric Cotton Linen Indoor Outdoor Covers
Outdoor fabrics can withstand the elements, so they are sure to stand up to wear and tear inside a home. These accent pillows feature a durable blend of cotton and linen and are soft to the touch but strong enough to withstand daily abuse.
The vivid patterns are guaranteed not to fade or transfer onto your furniture. The covers are removable and machine washable on cold or gentle cycles. These indoor/outdoor pillows are available in several patterns and colors, as well as sizes. If you plan to use them outside, you will need to purchase inserts made for outdoor use.
7. DOWN ALTERNATIVE PICK: IZO All Supply Hypo-Allergenic Throw Pillow
Covers may give you a pop of color and style, but the inserts are what make or break a throw pillow. Down alternatives feature a mixture of synthetic materials, including rayon or polyester, which mimic down. Down alternative inserts have the same insulating warmth as down but cost much less since they use synthetic materials, making them lightweight, soft, and versatile. It’s a cost-effective alternative to get extra loft without hurting your wallet.
This set of six 18×18-inch inserts are hypoallergenic and machine washable. They make a great base set of pillows for your living space. Swap out covers as needed throughout the year. The pillows will stay lofty and last you through several seasons of throw covers.
8. DOWN INSERT PICK: Basic Home Down Feather Pillow Inserts
Real down offers a warmth that is challenging to duplicate with synthetic materials. Down is far lighter and fluffier than any other type of filling. These pillows feature an elegant cotton fabric cover with a down-proof stitch that prevents feathers from poking out through the seams.
Down filling is not easily machine washable, so keep this in mind when purchasing Down. Also, down is not hypoallergenic and costs significantly more than synthetic inserts. However, if you are looking for the softest pillows that will not lose their shape and loft, you can’t do better than down.
FAQs About Your New Throw Pillow
Throw pillows can be a good short-term investment for your home, adding style and comfort to your space. Unlike a large piece of furniture, you can replace them often and update their look seasonally. To help you decide on the best type to add to your home decor, here are some frequently asked questions about throw pillows.
Q. What is the best insert material for throw pillows?
Feather and down will give you the best loft but are generally more expensive. Aim for a down alternative to get the best balance of loft and price.
Q. Why are throw pillows so expensive?
Throw pillows are often expensive due to the fabric used, shape, design, and the material used in the insert.
Q. Where can I find good throw pillows?
There are many places to find good throw pillows. The key is to purchase quality fabric for the pillow covers and high-quality inserts. Be sure to read the features of each pillow to ensure it meets your needs.