The Bushnell Night Vision Equinox Z Monocular has 3-times magnification, 1 to 3-times digital zoom, and a 30-millimeter objective lens. It’s suitable for both daytime and nighttime use with its built-in infrared illuminator, which allows viewing up to 500 feet away. It uses an infrared-sensitive CMOS sensor and a micro-LCD screen instead of a conventional intensifier tube. The multi-coated glass objectives produce outstanding optical clarity and a Picatinny-style rail for accessory mounting. This monocular has a rugged water-resistant housing and is tripod mountable. It requires four AA batteries.
The Best Night Vision Devices to See in the Dark
The best night vision devices are durable and easy to use and provide clear vision at night.
We may earn revenue from the products available on this page and participate in affiliate programs.
- Best OverallBushnell Night Vision_Equinox Z MonocularSEE IT
- Runner-UpBestguarder 6x50mm HD Digital Night Vision MonocularSEE IT
- Best Camcorder4K Wifi Full Spectrum CamcordersSEE IT
Night vision devices utilize image enhancement and light amplification technology to enable us to see in the dark. Light enters the front lenses of a device in the form of photons. The photons are amplified through a component called a photocathode, and the image appears to be brighter than it is. Here’s what to consider when selecting the best night vision device for your needs:
- Resolution: Resolution is one of the most important aspects to consider before purchasing a night vision device. The maximum resolution dictates the clarity and detail of distant objects.
- Magnification and Field of View: This determines the distance and width of viewing.
- Recognition Range: Recognition range is a distance small enough to distinguish details. Most night vision devices clearly state their particular recognition ranges for different environments and the moon phases.
- Infrared Illuminators: Infrared illuminators, or IR, are a primary feature to consider. If the device does not have one, check for the option to have one attached. IR allows night vision devices to see clearer and farther using infrared light.
- Spectrum: Night vision devices provide an enhanced range of spectrums, ranging from infrared and ultraviolet to electromagnetic radiation.
- Weather Resistance: Some devices are weatherproof, while others are waterproof or fog-proof.
- Design and Ease of Operation: The size and design of a night vision device determine its weight and ease of use.
- Battery Type: Night vision devices require a specific battery type. This will affect run time, charging time, and the additional cost of replacing batteries.
Our Top Picks
We considered factors such as resolution, magnification, quality, durability, and overall performance to determine the best night vision devices.
Fully multi-coated optics of the Bestguarder HD Digital Night Vision Monocular increase light transmission and decrease glare. This device uses an infrared-sensitive CMOS sensor for outstanding image quality. Images can be recorded as a still photo or video clip, and then saved on a micro SD card. It includes a video output port that can be switched to NTSC or PAL standard, which can be connected to video or computer equipment for recording or live monitoring. A built-in accessory mounting rail allows a more powerful IR illuminator or other compatible accessories to be attached. The infrared illuminator allows up to 1,150 feet of viewing distance in the dark. The four IR levels and three brightness levels are adjustable according to the ambient light. The built-in 1.5-inch TFT screen has an easy-to-use menu available in seven languages.
The ZOHULU 4K Wifi Full Spectrum Camcorder has built-in infrared light for night recording, a 32-gigabyte SD card, and a high-definition wide-angle lens. The 3.1-inch IPS touchscreen with 270-degree rotation allows for easy viewing of its digitally enhanced zoom. The device automatically compresses files when saving, and it can restore them back to 4K quality when viewing. This infrared camcorder has built-in Wi-Fi for remote viewing and can connect to smart devices via an app. This camcorder comes with two Lithium-ion batteries, a flashlight mount, USB and HDMI cables, and a padded camera pouch.