Does Unplugging Appliances
Power surges from lightning strikes, faulty wiring, etc., have the potential to be dangerous. If the surge is strong enough, it can cause appliances that are plugged in to overheat or even catch on fire.
Unplugging appliances can reduce some electrical risks.
Smart plugs and power strips can simplify the task of unplugging appliances.
The biggest energy vampires you should be unplugging:
Get the Newsletter
Sign up to receive the best tips and tricks, the latest news and giveaways, and the most inspiring home improvement ideas from Bob Vila, America's Handyman since 1979.