- Buying & Selling Homes >
- Beyond Stainless: What Buyers Want This Spring
Beyond Stainless: What Buyers Want This Spring
House hunters today aren’t necessarily fixated on luxury finishes like stainless steel. They are practical and focused on function, willing to pay more for a house whose features align with their buying priorities—especially if the seller can spare them the average $4,550 that 53% of buyers spend on improvements within three months of closing.
This list of wants and must-haves, compiled by the National Association of Realtors in its 2013 Profile of Buyers’ Home Feature Preferences, shows you what to promote if you are selling a house this spring. In other words, give buyers what they want, namely:
- New appliances are worth a $1,840 bump in the offer, buyers claim
- A separate laundry room is coveted by 47%
- Fireplaces are top-of-list for 57%
- 41% of recent buyers bought houses with basements
- In-law suites
- The number one amenity is central air
The one thing buyers can’t get enough of is storage space. As part of your home staging routine, emphasize all closets and ancillary storage areas.
For more on real estate, consider: