The Best Blankets For Snuggling Anytime: Our Tested Roundup

Snuggle down and cuddle up in front of the fire, on the couch, or in bed with our favorite blankets, from the cute and kitschy to luxurious picks.

Best Overall

The Everlasting Comfort Luxury Faux Fur Throw Blanket draped over the arm of a chair.

Everlasting Comfort Luxury Faux Fur Throw Blanket

See It

Best Bang For The Buck

The Bedsure Sherpa and Fleece Reversible Blanket folded on a white background.

Bedsure Sherpa and Fleece Reversible Blanket

See It

Best Wool

The Pendleton Yakima Camp Throw Blanket laid out flat on a white background.

Pendleton Yakima Camp Throw Blanket

See It

We may earn revenue from the products available on this page and participate in affiliate programs. Learn More ›

Wrapping up in the perfect blanket can feel like a warm hug from a loved one at the end of a long day. But a bad blanket is a real letdown, so I researched dozens of blankets and tested the top contenders to find the best options on the market. The result is a cozy list of nap-worthy wraps. 

A blanket’s materials, size, and extra features (yes, blankets can have extra features) make a difference in how they feel and perform. A polar fleece blanket feels oh-so-cozy, while an organic cotton blanket can be the perfectly breathable companion to your summertime siesta. I tested everything from cooling blankets to electric ones to find the best blankets for bedtime, nap time, and every snuggle in between.

1. BEST OVERALL: Everlasting Comfort Luxury Faux Fur Throw Blanket 
  2. BEST BANG FOR THE BUCK: Bedsure Sherpa and Fleece Reversible Blanket
  3. BEST WOOL: Pendleton Yakima Camp Throw Blanket
  4. BEST GAUZE: Garnet Hill Isa Stonewashed Organic Cotton Blanket 
  5. BEST WEIGHTED: Gravity Blankets Gravity Weighted Blanket
  6. BEST FOR FAMILIES: Big Blanket Co Original Stretch Blanket 
  7. BEST ELECTRIC: Degrees of Comfort Fuzzy Sherpa Heated Blanket 
  8. BEST COOLING: Elegear Revolutionary Cooling Blanket
  9. BEST LIGHTWEIGHT: L.L.Bean Maine Twill Blanket
  10. BEST FOR OUTDOORS: Matador Pocket Blanket
  11. BEST FOR CAMPING: Rumpl Original Puffy Blanket
  12. BEST NOVELTY: Jorbest Burritos Tortilla Wrap Blanket
The Best Blankets
Photo: Stacey L. Nash for Bob Vila

How We Tested the Best Blankets

I used an established rubric to test the best blankets. That rubric included a rating system for the look and feel of the blankets, size and color options, and quality and craftsmanship. To test blankets designed for use in the bedroom, I used them on a bed for at least 2 nights. For smaller blankets and throws, I tested them while sitting or lying on a couch and while working in a home office. To test cleaning ease, I spilled cola on each blanket and let it sit for 1 hour. I then washed each according to the manufacturer’s directions. I measured dimensions before and after washing to monitor shrinking. I tested the blankets’ quality and durability by examining the seams and pulling and tugging on them, especially at the corners. 

Testing Stats

• Products tested: 15
  • Hours spent testing: 200+ 
  • Tests performed: 3
  • Average price: $112

Our Top Picks

After testing all these blankets ourselves, I can confidently say any of them would make an excellent addition to a living, bedroom, or office. Large and small, round and rectangular, there’s a good mix to meet the varying needs of daily life. Determine your needs and comfort preferences, and you’re sure to find a cozy blanket for your home.  

Best Overall

Everlasting Comfort Luxury Faux Fur Throw Blanket

See It

Our Ratings: Appearance 5/5; Comfort 4/5; Durability 5/5; Washability 4/5; Value 5/5 

Product Specs 

• Materials: Polyester
  • Sizes: 1
  • Colors: 8

Pros

• Despite being made of faux fur, provides good warmth without being overly bulky or heavy
  • Ultrasoft, drapey fabric has a luxurious air and feels lovely against the skin
  • Repels liquid, making it easy to keep clean; is also machine washable
  • Double-sided design provides different looks, while faux fur provides texture

Cons

• Only comes in a single throw size; would have been great in a bigger, bed-size version

The Everlasting Comfort faux fur throw rose to the top for its softness and the beautiful drape of the fabric. I couldn’t stop running my hand over the fabric because it felt wonderful, and this made me want to use it all the time.

This blanket can be machine washed in cold water on a gentle cycle and tumbled dry without heat. In my tests, I poured a dark cola on one area of the blanket, watched the liquid bead up on the fabric, and let it sit for an hour. I also tried rubbing the liquid into the fabric to see if that would stain. After washing, the blanket came out as good as new. 

The only complaint I have about this blanket is that it’s only offered in one size. The throw size (65 inches long by 50 inches wide) is large enough to wrap around your lap, but I would love to wrap up in a full-size blanket made of this soft, comfy material. 

Get the Everlasting Comfort blanket at Amazon or Everlasting Comfort.

Best Bang For The Buck

Bedsure Sherpa and Fleece Reversible Blanket

See It

Our Ratings: Appearance 3/5; Comfort 4/5; Durability 3/5; Washability 5/5; Value 4/5

Product Specs 

• Sizes: 5 (varies by retailer)
  • Colors: 22

Pros

• Wonderful selection of colors to complement various design schemes and color palettes
  • Double layer of fleece and sherpa offers reliable warmth on cold days
  • Simple design at an affordable price makes it great for guest and children’s rooms

Cons

• Fabric looks inexpensive and doesn’t feel super durable 

The Bedsure sherpa and fleece reversible blanket comes at a low price and offers comfortable warmth. The fleece and sherpa are both made of polyester, and the blanket comes in five sizes. I tested the throw size, which was large enough to cover a lap. This blanket was comfortable enough that I would have liked to try it in the twin size because it did seem like it would be pleasant to wrap myself in it completely.

This would be a great, inexpensive addition to a guest or children’s bedroom. It’s offered in nearly two dozen colors, so there are many options to choose from. The larger sizes could work over a bed, but there’s a catch—the fabric quality doesn’t suggest that it will hold up to 8 hours of use everyday for very long. As such, it might serve better as an extra blanket to have around the house. 

I found it easy to clean, and it withstood the cola and tugging tests. It has a row of stitching several inches inside the seam allowance to prevent the two layers from separating, but there was a little separation at the center anyway. I could tell this wasn’t a luxe blanket simply by looking at it. But not all of us need a fancy blanket; for those who want something colorful, fuzzy, and warm at a great price, this is a good option.

Get the Bedsure blanket at Amazon or Bedsure.

Best Wool

Pendleton Yakima Camp Throw Blanket

See It

Our Ratings: Appearance 5/5; Comfort 4/5; Durability 5/5; Washability 4/5; Value 5/5 

Product Specs 

• Materials: Wool and cotton
  • Sizes: 5
  • Colors: 5 (varies by retailer)

Pros

• Wool content provides excellent temperature regulation so that users aren’t too hot or cold
  • Comes in classic colors and timeless striped patterns
  • Throw size works well for daily use and easily folds for use when traveling or camping

Cons

• Contains 20 percent cotton, so it’s not pure wool
  • Dry-clean only, so cleaning it can be a bit of a hassle

Pendleton enjoys a reputation for its high-quality wool products, and the Pendleton Yakima Camp throw blanket aligns with everything the brand is known for. Made of wool and cotton, this thick blanket is simple but has everything most people would want from one of the best wool blankets. Wool is a natural temperature regulator; consequently, this blanket won’t roast you while you’re wrapped in it. Instead, when I used it, I found that I felt perfectly cozy; it kept me consistently warm without trapping excess heat or letting too much warmth escape.

I was a bit disappointed to see that the blanket contains 20 percent cotton. However, the addition of cotton did give the fabric a pleasant texture. It wasn’t as scratchy as a traditional 100 percent wool textile. That isn’t to say this is a super-soft blanket, but it has a nice weight and keeps the user at a comfortable temperature. 

I tested it in a living room, but the highly durable wool also lends itself well to camping and traveling. On the downside, it is dry-clean only because of the high wool content, which will shrink drastically in a standard washing machine and dryer. Users will want to be careful about washing and storing it, too, because insects love to chew wool. (We’re looking at you, moths!).

Get the Pendleton blanket at Amazon, Pendleton, Bed Bath & Beyond, or REI.

Best Gauze

Garnet Hill Isa Stonewashed Organic Cotton Blanket

See It

Our Ratings: Appearance 5/5; Comfort 5/5; Durability 5/5; Washability 4/5; Value 5/5 

Product Specs 

• Materials: Organic cotton
  • Sizes: 4
  • Colors: 8

Pros

• Excellent drape, weight, and breathability, resulting in comfortable temperature regulation
  • Beautiful color options and reversible design can add a high-end look to a room’s decor
  • Comfortable enough for everyday use; stylish and beautiful enough to elevate a design aesthetic

Cons

• Not heavy enough to provide sufficient warmth in colder weather
  • Shrunk during washing in testing

The beautiful Garnet Hill Isa Stonewashed is a soft, breathable organic cotton blanket that drapes elegantly and provides a considerable amount of warmth, considering the lightness of the fabric. Gauze blankets are generally lightweight, but this blanket has a heft and drape that retains more heat than I expected. Plus, it’s Oeko-Tex certified, which means it’s free of harmful chemicals. As one of the most comfortable blankets I tested, it quickly became one of my favorites. The only reason it didn’t end up in the top spot was that it was not warm enough for colder weather.

The eight colors are subtle and classy, including a range of plaids and solids. There are four sizes: throw, twin, double/queen, and king. This blanket has the quality and beauty to act as a summer bedspread or coverlet in the winter. It easily withstood the tug test and washed well after staining with cola. The biggest point against it was that it shrunk quite a bit—3 inches in width and 4 inches in length—so you might want to order up a size if you want some overhang on the bed. 

Get the Garnet Hill blanket at Garnet Hill.

Best Weighted

Gravity Blankets Gravity Weighted Blanket

See It

Our Ratings: Appearance 5/5; Comfort 5/5; Durability 5/5; Washability 4/5; Value 5/5

Product Specs 

• Materials: Micro-plush, glass beads, elastic, plastic
  • Sizes: 4 (varies by retailer)
  • Colors: 7 (varies by retailer)

Pros

• Secure attachment features (zipper, ties, elastic, buttons) between cover and weighted blanket
  • Soft, quilted cover feels luxurious and gives the blanket a high-end look and texture
  • Weight stays evenly distributed and doesn’t pool, even when moving the blanket frequently

Cons

• A bit heavy to fold and move without the help of another person
  • Long process to take cover off and put it back on

For starters, this gravity blanket offers perfect weight distribution. And as someone who has tested various weighted blankets and owns several others, I can say that this is one of the best covers I’ve seen on a weighted blanket. This blanket is offered in four sizes, including a 35-pound queen/king size for couples. 

The outstanding cover attachment system includes plastic zippers on three sides plus ties reinforced with buttons and elastic on the fourth side. When you pick up this blanket, the cover and weighted blanket do not separate at all. However, that system made it time-consuming to get the cover on and remove it—I broke a sweat in doing so. Nonetheless, it’s worth it for the quality of the fit. The cover is machine washable, stain-resistant, and doesn’t shrink in the dryer. However, it took some figuring to get the zippers lined up after washing. 

The glass beads, which provide the weight, stay in place inside the quilted squares. There was no pooling or cover shifting while I used the blanket or carried it around the house. The micro-plush quilted cover is thick, soft, and cozy. I tested the teal blanket, and the color was vibrant and attractive. This blanket isn’t cheap, but the price backs the quality. If you want a weighted blanket that’s comfortable and well made, this is the one. 

Get the Gravity Blankets blanket at Amazon or Gravity Blankets.

Best For Families

Big Blanket Co Original Stretch Blanket

See It

Our Ratings: Appearance 5/5; Comfort 5/5; Durability 5/5; Washability 5/5; Value 5/5

Product Specs

• Materials: Polyester and spandex
  • Colors: 21 (varies by retailer)

Pros

• Well made with high-quality fabric and craftsmanship
  • Beautiful, bright colors; fabric has an attractive sheen
  • Warm, comfortable, and stretchy enough to fit over at least 4 people—possibly more with kids
  • Surprisingly compact when packed in the included storage bag

Cons

• Heavy and tricky to fold with only 1 person

If you’ve ever wanted to fit your entire family under one blanket, the Original Stretch Blanket by Big Blanket Co will do. This massive 10-foot-square blanket can cover equally massive sectionals full of people or act as a king-size blanket. My family of five easily fit underneath it—the teens may not have thought it was a good idea, but everyone else did. The polyester/spandex fabric has some stretch to go even further. The seams are super strong and handled serious stretching, as well as everyone tugging at the fabric as they tried to get comfortable.

I worried about washing this huge blanket for fear it would prove too heavy for my washing machine. However, I was pleasantly surprised that it washed without a problem and didn’t require two cycles through the dryer. The red buffalo check was bright and crisp after a couple of washes. It’s offered in a huge variety of colors and patterns, including some more unique design themes, like aliens and mushrooms. 

The fabric is comfortable and provides a moderate degree of warmth. My only complaint is that it’s tough to fold with one person. I liked the storage bag made of the same fabric. It made this mammoth-size blanket easy to store.

Get the Big Blanket Co blanket at Amazon or Big Blanket Co.

Best Electric

Degrees of Comfort Fuzzy Sherpa Heated Blanket

See It

Our Ratings: Appearance 4/5; Comfort 5/5; Durability 4/5; Washability 4/5; Value 5/5 

Product Specs 

• Sizes: 7 (varies by retailer)
  • Colors: 4

Pros

• Features an adjustable timer that goes from 1 to 10 hours in 1-hour increments
  • 2-sided design; users can choose between using the sherpa or microlight flannel side
  • 20 heat levels and last-use memory make it easy to get comfortable

Cons

• Sherpa side can start to look worn with daily use

The Degrees of Comfort fuzzy sherpa heated blanket is everything a heated fleece blanket should be. It’s soft and inviting on both the flannel and the sherpa sides, and it offers various adjustable settings to help users get comfortable. It has 20 heat settings with an auto timer that can be set anywhere from 1 to 10 hours in 1-hour increments. You can also preheat it to get it warm before you settle down. 

I’ve used this blanket for several months, and I sometimes use it on my bed. The wide temperature range is one of my favorite features. Indoor winter temperatures can vary from slightly cold to “I’m-turning-into-an-icicle.” The 20 settings are enough to account for that entire range. Plus, it has a last-use memory feature, so it will automatically revert to the last heat setting you used when you turn it on again. 

It can be machine washed on a gentle cycle and then tossed in the dryer, though it’s probably wise to dry it gently on low heat. This is one of the best electric blankets I’ve used, and it has held up to regular washing without a problem. Even after months of using it, I haven’t noticed any fading, pilling, or shrinking. The only issue I have is that the sherpa side can start to look worn if you let it go too long between washings. 

Get the Degrees of Comfort blanket at Amazon or Degrees of Comfort.

Best Cooling

Elegear Revolutionary Cooling Blanket

See It

Our Ratings: Appearance 5/5; Comfort 5/5; Durability 4/5; Washability 4/5; Value 5/5 

Product Specs 

• Materials: Nylon, polyester, cotton
  • Sizes: 4 (varies by retailer)
  • Colors: 8 (varies by retailer)

Pros

• Fabric feels cool to the touch thanks to the layering system and inclusion of Arc-Chill cooling fibers
  • Drapes excellently, so it feels weighty without retaining too much heat
  • Durable enough to hold up well over time despite its lightweight construction

Cons

• The 2 layers can separate at times
  • Requires hang drying, which can be a challenge with the larger sizes

I’ve used the Elegear Revolutionary cooling blanket in my home for 2 years. For this review, I ordered and reviewed a new one to check for any changes in the blanket’s performance. I’m happy to report that it performed as expected, offering cooling comfort for those who love blankets but tend to easily overheat.

This two-layer blanket’s cooling layer is made of Arc-Chill cooling yarns that pull body heat away from the skin, providing it with a feeling of being chilled. The second layer is made of cotton, which makes the blanket quite breathable. After using it for a while, I learned that when you want to feel a little cooler, it’s best to place the cooling side against the body, and if you want slightly more warmth, place the cotton side against the body.

For a cooling blanket, the Elegear has a comfortable drape that makes it feel heavier than it is, balancing the weight with breathability to deliver the comfort of a blanket but not necessarily the same degree of warmth. The only downside is that the Elegear must be dried by hanging it up. The larger sizes can be difficult to dry if your home lacks space to hang it.

Get the Elegear blanket at Amazon or Elegear.

Best Lightweight

L.L.Bean Maine Twill Blanket

See It

Our Ratings: Appearance 5/5; Comfort 4/5; Durability 5/5; Washability 4/5; Value 4/5 

Product Specs 

• Materials: Cotton (heather gray colorway also contains polyester)
  • Sizes: 3
  • Colors: 7

Pros

• Beautiful color and quality that you can feel right out of the package
  • Nice weight and drape, so it feels comfortable without being too heavy
  • Works well as a bed blanket because it adds weight and insulation while remaining breathable

Cons

• Lightweight, so it may not provide enough warmth on its own during chilly nights

The L.L.Bean Maine twill blanket shows the world what high-quality bedding blankets should look like. Made of 100 percent cotton (except the heather gray blanket, which is 90 percent cotton and 10 percent polyester), it has a classic twill weave, which gives the fabric drape. Drape helps this blanket cascade over the body, yet the cotton fabric still feels lightweight and breathable. During testing, I loved the drape so much that I started using this blanket while lounging on the couch, even though it’s designed for use on the bed. 

On a bed, it’s attractive enough for use as an accent piece with its beautiful yet subtle colors. It comes in seven colors and three sizes: twin, full/queen, and king. This blanket also makes a great layering blanket between sheets and duvets to provide an extra layer of warmth when temperatures start to drop. The breathability and drape made it super comfortable in bed without overheating me. It passed the tug and cola test, too. However, after washing it according to the manufacturer’s instructions, the blanket shrunk 3 inches on all sides. I would expect that with a cotton blanket, but if you want the blanket to cover the sides of the mattress, you might need to order the next size up.

Get the L.L.Bean blanket at L.L.Bean.

Best For Outdoors

Matador Pocket Blanket

See It

Our Ratings: Appearance 5/5; Comfort 2/5; Durability 5/5; Washability 5/5; Value 5/5 

Product Specs 

• Materials: Ripstop nylon
  • Sizes: 2
  • Colors: 3

Pros

• Treated with waterproof coating; well suited for use in a variety of outdoor situations
  • Users can follow the stitching on the blanket to fold it back into the attached pouch
  • Small size and light weight make it easy to add to a pack or stash for emergency use in a vehicle

Cons

• It would be nice if bigger options were offered; even the larger size is fairly small

The Matador Pocket blanket isn’t a blanket in the traditional wrap-in-it-for-warmth kind of way. However, it’s the kind of blanket that comes in handy in many outdoor situations. The blanket folds down to a 4.5-inch-long by 2.7-inch-wide by 1.1-inch-thick size and fits into an attached pouch. It’s made of ripstop nylon, so it’s lightweight and water-resistant. I tested it in a snow-covered front yard, and it worked as a ground cover without letting snow through. It has built-in stakes at the corners that tuck into pockets when not in use. You can also use the elastic loops to which the stakes are attached to secure the blanket as a rainfly. 

This isn’t a space blanket that will conserve body heat. Rather, it’s one to toss in your backpack so that you can comfortably sit on the ground on a spontaneous trip to the beach or when you find a hidden lake while hiking. In an emergency, you can use it as a rain cover or a porch on your tent. Whether for picnicking, hiking, or camping, this blanket will be useful without taking up space or adding weight. It’s spot-clean only, but everything I put on it brushed right off. My favorite feature was the stitch pattern, which acted as a guide to help fold the blanket back into the pouch. It’s offered in two sizes, but even the size designed for two to four people is small.

Get the Matador blanket at Amazon or REI.

Best For Camping

Rumpl Original Puffy Blanket

See It

Our Ratings: Appearance 5/5; Comfort 4/5; Durability 5/5; Washability 5/5; Value 5/5 

Product Specs 

• Materials: Ripstop polyester fabric, 100 percent recycled 3D hollow fiber siliconized synthetic insulation
  • Colors: 33 (varies by retailer)

Pros

• Packs down tightly into a matching stuff sack for easy portability
  • Comes in 31 brightly colored patterns and designs ranging from muted to bright
  • Features a clip to make it wearable around the campfire as well as loops to hang it
  • Water resistance for use in inclement weather

Cons

• May not be the right choice if you want a fuzzy fleece

The Rumpl Original Puffy blanket comes in 33 brightly colored patterns that range from colorful retro designs to more understated modern options. Thanks to its durable ripstop polyester and hollow fiber filling, it could easily become a camping staple. The smooth fabric feels nice, and the hollow fibers retain heat well. I used this blanket indoors and out, and it kept me warm and dry despite cold winter conditions. The water resistance was impressive, too. During the cola test, the liquid beaded up and stayed that way for the full hour. The blanket washed easily and didn’t shrink or fade. 

Rumpl seemingly thought of everything, including a cape clip and loops to make the blanket wearable. That means no more struggling to keep your blanket in place and stay warm while you prepare for the day on a cold morning in the mountains. There are loops along the outside seam for hanging it, too. It comes with a matching stuff sack, making it easy to toss in the car or a pack. This could be used as a stand-alone covering during a summer camping trip or as a blanket for extra warmth on a fall or winter adventure. It’s not soft like fleece, but the extra clips and loops make it very user-friendly. 

Get the Rumpl blanket at Amazon, Rumpl, or REI.

Best Novelty

Jorbest Burritos Tortilla Wrap Blanket

See It

Our Ratings: Appearance 4/5; Comfort 5/5; Durability 4/5; Washability 5/5; Value 4/5 

Product Specs 

• Materials: Polar fleece
  • Sizes: 4
  • Colors: 5

Pros

• Fun, quirky designs add a humorous note to lounging around the house
  • Not just entertaining but also functional thanks to soft, cozy fleece
  • Offered in several food-themed patterns and multiple sizes for users of all ages

Cons

• Might not work when you need to use a blanket in public but don’t want to look like a burrito

The Jorbest Burritos Tortilla Wrap blanket is worth a laugh, and thankfully, it delivers on quality, too, and the result is a warm blanket. I’ve gifted this blanket to friends and family, and a teen in my house quickly claimed it after testing. Wrapping up in a blanket is a lot like being a human burrito, and Jorbest takes that literally. This blanket comes in several sizes, so people of different ages and heights can become a human burrito. 

The product description says the fabric is flannel, but it’s actually fleece. While this blanket might make you giggle, the fleece is soft and comfortable, so once you’re in it, you’ll want to stay awhile. It comes in different colored tortilla prints, along with pizza and waffle prints, too. The blanket washed well, and the seams withstood the tug test. However, the quality of the seams isn’t up to the quality of some of the other blankets on the list.  

Get the Jorbest blanket at Amazon.

Jump to Our Top Picks

The Best Blankets
Photo: Stacey L. Nash for Bob Vila

What to Consider When Choosing a Blanket

Many factors impact a blanket’s warmth and tactile feel. How and where you plan to use the blanket will determine which size and weight are appropriate for your needs. And it’s important to take care and maintenance into consideration. Spills happen; a blanket that’s easy to clean and dry means more time snuggled and wrapped in it. 

Material

Materials affect a blanket’s breathability, texture, durability, washability, and comfort. Common blanket materials include:

• Cotton
  • Wool
  • Polyester
  • Nylon
  • Acrylic

Cotton blankets offer a soft, familiar texture and natural breathability. Because it’s soft, cotton is often added to wool textiles to improve the rough texture. Organic blankets are often made of cotton. To truly be organic, the blanket should have some certification, such as the Global Organic Textiles Standard (GOTS). Another quality certification is the Oeko-Tex Standard 100 certification. This one doesn’t certify a product’s organic status but rather indicates that it is free of harmful substances. 

Wool is the other material used to make organic blankets, though not all wool is organic. Virgin wool (a term to describe wool that’s being used for the first time rather than recycled) is considered the most desirable. Wool is usually dry-clean only, but it naturally regulates temperature, resists water, and will last for years if it’s cared for properly. 

Many blankets are comprised of polyester, nylon, and acrylic to varying degrees. These materials are used to make fleeces, micro plush, and some flannels. Their softness and ease of cleaning make them especially desirable. Nylon can also provide water resistance, which is great for camping and travel blankets. 

Size

Blankets are made in many sizes, but the most common are throw, twin, queen, king, and California king. Even among those categories, there is some variation in size. For example, some manufacturers make throws that are 60 inches long by 40 inches wide. Others make throws that are 70 inches long by 55 inches wide. Check the dimensions before you buy. Some throws are only large enough to cover a lap while sitting. They’re perfect for the car and in a home office. However, if you want to lounge on the couch, you might find their size a little spare. 

Twin, queen, king, and California king sizes also vary. Blankets for a single person to use on a couch should typically be twin-size. Blankets used on a bed should correspond to the size of the bed, so a queen-size blanket will fit on a queen-size mattress. Blankets that follow these traditional bed sizes are designed for use on the bed as a cover or bedding blankets. 

Weight

The season in which the blanket will be used determines the appropriate weight. Fabric weight is expressed in grams per square meter (GSM). The higher the GSM, the heavier the blanket. However, blanket brands don’t always advertise the GSM. They often use the season or terms like lightweight, cool, warm, or heavy to describe a blanket’s weight. 

The material, weave, and design dictate the weight. Fleeces and flannels are heavier than cotton gauze, for example. Lightweight blankets for summer are often made of cotton, but they’re also made of specially designed synthetics that wick moisture and absorb heat by pulling it away from the body. If you’re looking for a heavier winter blanket, a GSM over 250 typically will do it. Fleece, wool, and quilt blankets are also good for the winter months. 

Care

Wool blankets are often the fussiest and require special handling. They’re usually dry-clean or spot-clean only. Wool also requires special care when storing to prevent bugs from eating it. It needs to be in a sealed container or bag that repels moths. 

Most other fabrics are machine washable. However, the instructions may advise washing on a gentle cycle with low or no heat. These blankets may be harder to keep clean than blankets that can be washed at any temperature. Synthetics often repel moisture and stains better than absorbent cotton, but one of their drawbacks is that they can easily be damaged by high heat.  

FAQs  

You might still have unanswered questions about buying your next blanket. Maybe you’re wondering about how to care for it, or perhaps you want to know more about how blankets fit into a particular style, like Scandinavian. Here are some common questions people ask when searching for their next blanket. Remember that personal likes and dislikes should factor into the final choice. Hate sherpa? Skip it for a smooth, plush fleece. Love a blanket with some weight and drape but not too much heat? Cotton is probably a good choice.

Q. What is the softest blanket material?

Softness is a tricky metric to measure objectively, but micro-plush fleeces and synthetic faux furs are considered among the softest blankets.

Q. How often should you wash your blanket?

Heavily used blankets, such as those used daily, should be washed once every week or two. Blankets that serve as decor and rarely get used are fine for a wash every month or two.

Q. What type of blanket doesn’t pill?

Higher-quality materials will resist pilling better than cheap ones. However, some materials, like flannel, typically pill a little, even if they’re high quality.

Meet the Tester

Stacey L. Nash has written about home and garden products, home design and decor, and general indoor and outdoor home improvement for 5+ years. She’s passionate about research and hands-on testing to find the products that add true value to homeownership and daily life. She lives on 12 heavily wooded acres, where she and her family put home and outdoor products to the test while avoiding bears and cougars. 

Stacey L. Nash Avatar

Stacey L. Nash

Contributing Writer

Stacey L. Nash has written for BobVila.com since 2020 and more widely for the past 6 years about home products, home decor, and general home improvement. Diving into research is one of her favorite parts of writing, but she especially enjoys hands-on testing to get a feel for how products really function in everyday life.  

WHY YOU CAN TRUST BOB VILA