Latest Discussions : Basement & Foundation

candc

03:44PM | 01/14/03
Member Since: 01/13/03
3 lifetime posts
My sump pump failed recently and I had water damage in my basement. I got rid of the carpet that I had in my below grade basement, but I am concerned about mildew on the basement floor.

Is a mixture of 1 cup bleach and water the best way to remove any suspected mildew from my concrete floor? I do not have any external ventilation in my basement, but my house is electric. If bleach is the best solution, do I need to be concerned about any buildup of dangerous fumes? Also, do I need to thoroughly rinse the bleach off or just damp mop the floor with some clean water?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

bobp

04:29PM | 01/14/03
Member Since: 01/13/03
50 lifetime posts
Recommend you use a solution of borax. It is not a biocide but will kill molds and mildew. You need to put it on, let it set about 20-30 minutes and clean it off. Chlorine is recommended to be used only as a last resort in occupied buildings by the ACGIH because the effects of using it have not been fully studied. Also, be sure you have resolved any moisture and condensation problems and removed any porous material that got wet.

Bob

rpxlpx

03:06AM | 01/15/03
Member Since: 03/13/00
1674 lifetime posts
Chlorine bleach can cause dangerous fumes if mixed with some chemical cleaners - but electrical sparks are not the issue - the fumes are poisonous to breathe.
I believe the dangerous combination is chlorine and ammonia.

[This message has been edited by rpxlpx (edited January 15, 2003).]

treebeard

06:15AM | 01/15/03
Member Since: 01/14/03
264 lifetime posts
In addition to any suggestions pertaining to the removal of mildew, you might want to think about preventing future causes of mildew in such a moist environment, and get yourself a dehumidifier, if you don't already have one.


Post a reply as Anonymous

Photo must be in JPG, GIF or PNG format and less than 5MB.

Reply choose button

Anonymous

Post new button or Login button
Register