Bought a 6 year old home in Monmouth Cty New Jersey. Home has a cinderblock basement and is in sandy soil. Builder is still in business in development plus there is a 10 year Homeowners Warranty. I have questions on if some of my issues are not within code or should be covered by the builder or HOW.
Sadly there is fraud involved by the seller whom actually covered issues and produced false invoices that a number of items were fixed. Lawyer is following up.
Any answers on if you would try the builder or HOW and if not how to correct for the following. I realize it's alot and any assistance is much appreciated.
1. Multiple areas where outside cement covering cinder blocks above grade is cracked. 1 area the crack is about 1/4" wide and in a 18" Y pattern where you could actually pull away the cement covering. The other areas are small vertical cracks. The cement cover is thin so you can see the actual outline of cinderblocks. Is there any code to this covering? Should I ask builder or HOW to cover?
2. Perimeter of garage has a seperation gap of about a 1/4" from the foundation. Sadly there was nest of carpenter ants there. Shouldn't this gap be filled by builder? Also the Y crack above is I believe about where the garage is attached so it may be settling.
3. Garage floor has numerous hairline cracks in different areas unrelated to heavy cars.
4. A/C outside wiring is exposed and not in metal conduit. Seems to be a mouse feast and definitely not in code.
5. A/C condensation lines. 1 is draining to basement floor perimeter and the other is draining 2 inches outside home behind a/c unit and under the dryer vent. Provides a lovely warm, moist place for future termites and those ants.
6. Septic system manhole is about 2 feet below grade with a cast iron cover. I thought maximum was 6" and below grade required non-corrosive cover? Should builder have to install riser?
7. Septic system is only 1,000 gallons while home is 4 bedroom plus office and conservatory. Shouldn't minimum have been 1,500 gallon tank?
8. Basement has 1 wet cinderblock. There is a sprinkler head in the area which I am removing but, the cinder block is obout 3 below grade and gets wet with heavy rain too. Bad back fill? Should this be covered?
9. Grouting in bathtubs, showers, floor done poorly and cracked. visible to the eye.
10. A few 6" Hairline cracks in ceiling near corners.
11. Bullnose pulling away top stairs.
12. Numerous nail pops especially under windows.
Again thanks if you think some of this should be posted elsewhere. feel free to do so and let me know.
Get Help from Bob Vila
- Give-Aways & Offers
- Monthly Must Do's
- DIY Project Ideas
- Step-by-Step Guides
- Inspirational Photo Galleries