Latest Discussions : Electrical & Lighting


12:46PM | 02/27/20
My son purchased a home built in 1961. He has a number of ungrounded outlets in the house. When I inspected, I found that the old cable that feeds the receptacles had a ground wire, but they have all been cut back and are currently unusable.

I'm wondering if there is a safe way to extend these ground wires. This would be the easiest way without removing drywall.


01:25PM | 02/29/20
You can buy short wire extensions that have twist on connectors on one end. They come in white, black and, green. I found some at Home Depot but they should be at most home centers and hardware stores.


11:20AM | 03/04/20
Thank you BV021765, but the 3 Home Depots near me don't have or know anything about these. Do you have a manufacturer number or any more info on these?


10:18AM | 03/08/20
I guess they stopped making them. If you search Ideal term-a-nut pigtail connectors you will find some for sale. There are some twist on connectors that have holes in the tops that you may be able to slide a wire inside and connect it to the short ground wires.


04:05PM | 03/30/20
Is there any chance this is BX Cable(metal sheathing)? If so, the sheathing can act as the ground conductor if connecting to metal boxes.

Post a reply as Anonymous

Photo must be in JPG, GIF or PNG format and less than 5MB.

Reply choose button


Post new button or Login button