Latest Discussions : Miscellaneous


04:14AM | 05/13/03
Member Since: 12/29/01
1 lifetime posts
Hello all. I was in the process of re-caulking by bathtub. While removing the old, Some of the tub surround (that fiberglass or plastic stuff) came loose at the bottom. Behind it where water from cracked caulk had seaped in was a black mold and obvious signs of water damage. I have not taken any more off. It seems that the previous owner repaired some type of wall damage by installing drywall to part of the bathroom wall and behind the tub surround. At the moment I do not have the cash to completely remove the surround and repair all of the damage. Can I just put something on the mold, secure the surround back down (only about three inches or so pealed up) and then re-caulk the tub? If so, what do I put on the mold? Can I use construction adhesive to glue the surround back?

Thank you,

Jay J

04:59PM | 05/13/03
Member Since: 10/26/00
782 lifetime posts
Carrie, Carrie, Carrie,

I wouldn't risk a patch job when it comes to a situation involving water that's under pressure. Your problem could QUICKLY get worst!

The best you can do now is to get a couple of estimates. AT least 2. Talk to friends and neighbors for recommendations. Visit the Plumbing Aisle at the Home Center and ask the folks there if they know anyone that would do your job for side work. Tell them you can't afford a business-pro. After you get your estimate from EACH Pro, ask if there's a way you can save $$$, perhaps doing the demolition (if any). Maybe you could do the caulking, whatever. Just make sure you do your HOMEWORK to find out how to do whatever YOU do, right. Again, water under pressure is a hazard.

My best to ya and hope this helps.

Jay J -Moderator

PS: God BLess America!

Post a reply as Anonymous

Photo must be in JPG, GIF or PNG format and less than 5MB.

Reply choose button


Post new button or Login button