Hi I have a home built in 1919, it is a two story and the fireplace is in the middle of the house. I bought it in Feb 05 and I have since found out the fireplace is unusable. Yes I did have it inspected by a home inspector who said it was fine to just keep it clean. I had a chimmney sweep clean it and that is when I found out it was not usable, that it was crumbling. I want to repair it but he says that he cannot put in a sleeve as it is on an angle and their will not be enough up draft for the fireplace maybe only 80%. I found an alternative and the company sent me back to the same chimney sweep and he says that the pour in place flu line by fire king will only give me 70% updraft and I have to install a fan. The fan alone he says will cost up to $1,800. I really want to use my fire place that is one of the reasons I bought the house.
Any suggestions on how to repair short of spending a small fortune.
Get Help from Bob Vila
- Give-Aways & Offers
- Monthly Must Do's
- DIY Project Ideas
- Step-by-Step Guides
- Inspirational Photo Galleries