Latest Discussions : Plumbing


07:40AM | 08/04/03
Member Since: 08/03/03
1 lifetime posts
My husband and I are about to purchase a third-story condo unit and we would like to replace the existing bathtub/shower units which are one-piece inserts that were installed in the mid-eighties. We are first-time home buyers and have never been faced with such a task. Can anyone give us some idea of what we may be facing as far as cost(we already know we will need to hire a general contractor)and headaches? Also some advice on where to start witht his project would be greatly appreciated.

plumber Tom

06:15AM | 08/05/03
Member Since: 05/10/03
801 lifetime posts
Hi Joanne. 1st eliminate the GC. A plumber is perfectly capable of this job. You want to measure the existing tub/shower enclosure. New tubs are a standard 5'. You may or may not have that. The only real "headache" I can forsee, is the plumber cutting a hole in the ceiling to pipe the new drain in. Most plumber's don't like patching holes, even though they made them. The job of connecting the drain may even be performed through the access panel behind the tub, eliminating a hole in the ceiling. Make sure your plumber installs a stringer on the back wall for the new tub. It's basically a 2x4 used for support.

Post a reply as Anonymous

Photo must be in JPG, GIF or PNG format and less than 5MB.

Reply choose button


Post new button or Login button