Latest Discussions : Plumbing


07:42AM | 04/05/04
Member Since: 04/04/04
1 lifetime posts
I have a very old home (1825) which is actually in very good condition EXCEPT for the fact that we have not so good water pressure. The pressure is fine as long as we are using only one thing at a time. We have 3 full baths, a kitchen and washer all competing for the same water. We are connected to the city water line. I am wondering if re-piping the whole house is the solution, and if so HEEEEELLLLLPP!!! What diameter piping would you reccommend? Any particular material better or worse? Copper? How long (ballpark) does this take to do? And last but not least.... how much (ballpark) will this job cost?

(and anything else you can add)

thanks for your help...


06:11PM | 04/05/04
Member Since: 01/28/03
693 lifetime posts
What type pipe depends on your water conditions and where you are located.

If you are in the country or city and your water is essentially 'neutral' in acidity and your pressure 'marginal' (ie 60-100psi)then copper or plastic would be fine.

Otherwise, you need to consider cpvc or pex or some other type of polyethelene pipe for acid resistance....or copper for pressure resistance...

plumber Tom

08:27PM | 04/06/04
Member Since: 05/10/03
801 lifetime posts
No incoming water entrance service should be less then 3/4". I have seen 3/4" coming in , then reduced to 1/2".This will have an adverse effect on your water pressure. The rule of thumb is: 3/4" main, then 3/4 x 1/2" tees to feed each individual fixture. The risers to the 2nd floor should also be 3/4".

erik peterson

05:36AM | 04/07/04
Member Since: 06/23/03
223 lifetime posts
size of water pipe has no bearing on pressure...size of water pipe increases or decreases the volume of water flow. also for the 2nd poster, "uniform plumbing code" requires a pressure regulator if the pressure exceeds 80 psi. erik


09:32AM | 04/08/04
Member Since: 10/15/02
359 lifetime posts
Once you determine what code requires in your area as far as materials, the next step is to plan out where you want what as far as volume, and that will determine what size pipe you will need.

If you have a long house where there is a good distance between faucets, you want a main of at least 3/4", maybe even 1" if it is over 60' of run. For branch lines to sinks and toilets, 1/2" will work, if you have 2 sinks together, you will want a 3/4" branch. If you are low on pressure at the meter, then you will probably need to have a new line istalled off the street main, which is not something a DIY would want or should do. Volume will make up for lack of pressure, so the larger the pipe, the more it will flow. so closest to the meter branches make smaller than the far end branches and you can get decent flow to all faucets.

Hope that helps, I just finished my house, but I am off a well so I can regulate the pressure, but the house is over 100' long.

Post a reply as Anonymous

Photo must be in JPG, GIF or PNG format and less than 5MB.

Reply choose button


Post new button or Login button