08:32PM | 06/27/05
Member Since: 06/27/05
1 lifetime posts
I removed an old single piece tub and shower combination unit. The overall width (OW)is 59 and 1/4 inches between the 2 end wall framing. The cut sheet calls for the (OW) to be 60 inches for the new tub and the new wall covering. What is the best way or the most practical way to move the wall with the plumbing. The other end wall is the exterior wall; it can't be moved.

Should I look for a new shower/tub unit that has smaller dimensions?


04:38AM | 06/29/05
Member Since: 01/28/03
693 lifetime posts
You are going to have to move or reframe the wall so that your rough opening is 60 inches from wood to wood.

They do not make tubs with smaller dimensions unless you want to go to a 4 or 4'6" tub/shower combo or 4 or 4'6" shower alone.


05:19AM | 06/30/05
Member Since: 08/29/04
227 lifetime posts
If you only need to take off 3/4 inch. I would trim the wall where the flange of the shower rests against the wall. You don't need to move the whole wall. Most fiberglass units have a upper rim that is exactly 60" from side to side. But the actual dimension is less than that and will fit in a smaller opening. I have often routed out a 3/4 inch depth for the unit.

Good Luck

Raymond VinZant Plumbing Prof.
Click to reply button
Inspiration banner


Post a reply as Anonymous

Photo must be in JPG, GIF or PNG format and less than 5MB.

Reply choose button


Post new button or Login button

To test the boundaries of small-footprint living, interior designer Jessica Helgerson moved her family to a 540-square-foo... Filling an underutilized area beneath the stairs is a smart way to save space. Doing so with a stash of wood, however, is ... The Audubon Society inspired wallpaper in this Adirondack-styled mudroom will get you in the outdoor mood. Grab your coat ... Chalkboard paint opens up endless possibilities for customizing your dresser time and time again. Use chalk to label the c... A fireplace in the bathroom creates the ultimate setting for relaxation. Homeowners often choose electric or gas over wood... This roomy boot tray made from punched metal stands up to all the elements. Station it in your mudroom or at your back doo... There’s nothing like a new set of cabinet hardware to refresh a room. The possibilities are endless: Go modern, rustic, or... FLOR tiles are an affordable way to customize a carpeted floor covering for any space. Make anything from runners to wall-... Chalkboard paint features prominently in this elegant yet unpretentious headboard design. Add a new message daily to reflec... Salvaged boards in varying widths and colors make up the dramatic accent wall in this attic space. The high-gloss white of... The indecisive homeowner need not fret over choosing one (or even two) cabinet colors. The kitchen cabinets in this artist... Incorporate nature into your lighting scheme by securing a dead tree in a concrete mold and draping your pendant lamp from... Simple and striking, a couple of pieces of "lovingly used" furniture creates a special kind of charm. A weathered chair fo... First dress up your metal shelves with a coat of paint in an accent color that complements your kitchen decor. Then arrang... Dark wood shelving and a matching upholstered bench keep this closet sleek and refined. The large window brightens the sub...
Follow banner a
Newsletter icon Flipboard glossy Facebook Twitter Pinterest Youtube Rss icon