Latest Discussions : Tools & Workshop


06:41AM | 12/06/04
Member Since: 12/05/04
2 lifetime posts
I just bought my first house and am thinking about knocking out some walls and partial walls. From reading articles on the internet, I do not feel comfortable determining if the walls are load bearing myself. I called some people in the yellow pages and found a building inspector who could come in and make the determination for all of the walls in the house for $75. But he is NOT licensed. Does he need to be? Is it normal to have a licensed individual determine load bearing walls? Do I need to have a structural engineer make these decisions?


06:49AM | 12/06/04
Member Since: 12/01/02
93 lifetime posts
here's the catch... Depending on your town/municipality laws you may need a structural engineer to determine what supports you need once you remove a bearing wall but not necessarily just to tell you which walls are bearing. In my town, an Engineer is not needed. Perhaps you should call your town's building department and see what they say.

Please note that I am not a structural engineer and someone else may disagree with this assessment.

Post a reply as Anonymous

Photo must be in JPG, GIF or PNG format and less than 5MB.

Reply choose button


Post new button or Login button