Latest Discussions : Tools & Workshop


01:45AM | 05/02/05
Member Since: 05/01/05
1 lifetime posts
I a hanging kitchen cabinets in our 80+ house. One of our wall seems to be very out of plumb. The bottom of the cabinet will have to be brought out at least 5/8 of an inch to be plumb. Can I use regular shims for that much of a gap? Another idea I had was to glue a small strip of 1/2 inch plywood to the bottom back of the cabinet and then use shims from there. Any ideas?


07:11AM | 05/18/05
Member Since: 02/20/04
52 lifetime posts
I'd go with your second suggestion and attach a filler board on the cabinet. This will also partially hide the gap to the wall and it will be much easier than trying to pile up a bunch of shims.


07:19AM | 05/19/05
Member Since: 01/30/05
360 lifetime posts
If you attach a ledger board to the walls (through to studs and adjusted with shims) it will be a much simplier project to install your cabinetry plumb and level.

You might consider renting or purchasing a laser level (craftman has a nice one that's quite inexpensive and you can mount it on a regular camera tripod) to mark out your room then shim the ledger board out to your desired "plumb-ness".

Post a reply as Anonymous

Photo must be in JPG, GIF or PNG format and less than 5MB.

Reply choose button


Post new button or Login button