Basically, I need to install a large window-type AC unit through the hardiplank. The unit is 28" wide, 20" tall, which just fits between two 2x4's (if I cut out 20" vertical in the center stud.) I have several questions.
1. will drilling a hole through the hardi followed by cutting out a square in the hardi with a scroll saw (special blade) do a good job? (what blade do i need??)
2. Since the unit is so heavy, should I run some additional 2x4's next to the outer vertical ones on the sides of the AC unit?
3. Is 1/2" or 3/4" thick pine good enough for the molding on the edge on the outside?
4. What kind of nail should I use to fasten the pine to the hardi?
5. Once molding is up, what is the best caulk for exterior?
A lot of questions, but it's a new garage so I want it to be a good job. TX