We have very uneven heating in our house and I'm looking for any suggestions for how we might improve the problem. Here are the details.
The house is a 55 year old ranch house in northern California. It is an "L" shaped house where the living area (living, dining, kitchen) are in the bottom part of the "L" and 4 bedrooms are off a long hallway in the top part of the "L". The gas forced air furnace (not sure how old but I'd guess at least 15 years, model is Lennox Conservator IV)is in the garage which is at the very top of the "L" (after the bedrooms). The bedrooms all have one vent and are all between 120-180 sq ft. The living area is an open area and is about 650 sq ft total with 1 vent in the dining room and 2 in the living room.
When we set the thermostat (which is in the hallway near the 1st 2 bedrooms) to about 66 the bedrooms are all comfortable, thermometers in the bedrooms show about 72 deg. At the same time the living area is much colder and a thermometer will show about 63 deg (9 degrees colder).
In general the house is not energy efficient but the living area has several disadvantages compared to the rest of the house. They are:
1. Living area has hardwood floors vs. pad and carpet in bedrooms (there is an uninsulated crawlspace under the entire house)
2. While all the windows in the house are original (single pane aluminum), the living area has much more glass, 2 large sliding glass doors and 2 large picture windows vs just 1 window per bedroom.
3. There is a fireplace in the living room with no door or other enclosure, I can feel cold air coming out of the flue.
I've considered a couple things to try and help the situation:
1. Installing a fireplace door, though they don't seem to be very well sealed
2. Installing insulation under the floor in the living area of the house
3. Putting double pane windows & doors in the living area though this really isn't in our budget right now
Any recommendations on which of these ideas might be best to pursue, or any other ideas are very welcome.
Get Help from Bob Vila
- Give-Aways & Offers
- Monthly Must Do's
- DIY Project Ideas
- Step-by-Step Guides
- Inspirational Photo Galleries