I need some help. Just bought a new house. 1980 sq. ft. on main level, 10 ft. ceilings, 9 ft. in basement that is walkout and unfinished. The builder installed a WeatherKing 92% AFUE upflow gas furnace.
We have four cold air returns. One in each of three bedrooms, and one in the living room. All of them are located on the wall near the ceiling. The house seems cold to me even with the thermostat set at 72. Windows and doors are ok. I sealed all electrical boxes and holes for ext pipes, wiring myself. 2X6 construction with enough insulation to qualify for energy efficiency rebates. So, I'm down to the furnace and duct design.
Are my cold air returns improperly placed. Would that have anything to do with the problems. There is a large cold air return vent in the basement that I decided to "choke off" half way. I don't want to completely block it without checking with someone here who knows. Duct runs are straight (i.e. not a lot of bends or s-curves).
On a side note, the furnace seems noisy to me. Is this because it's a high efficiecy furnace? Or, does the brand suck? I talked with a local HVAC tech who said the fact that the blower compartment is not insulated would only be cause for noise surrounding the unit and would not affect noise coming through the ducts. Is this true? Sorry for the slew of questions and I appreciate any responses that I get. Thanks folks.
Cold air return design
Return grill on plenum in basement for 2nd story Unit
How best to help my furnace (100 year old house desi...
Cold air return design
- 7 Types of Homeowners Who Can Benefit from a Backyard Shed
- 50 Products for Quick Fixes Around the House
- How To: Keep Cool When You're Working Outside
- 21 Money-Saving Tricks Every Homeowner Needs to Know
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 7 House Sounds You Never Want to Ignore
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- Organize Your Life with 12 Dollar-Store Buys
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Don't Make These 7 Mistakes in Small Spaces
- 20 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 15 Totally Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Closet Cures That Cost Less Than $100
- 11 Easy DIY Projects to Declutter Your Home
- 19 "Zero Dollar" Garden Hacks
- 10 Killproof Plants for a No-Effort Landscape
- 9 Insanely Easy 1-Hour Backyard Projects