New to this forum and hope I can get advice from you experts out there
As background, I will be closing on a 20 year old colonial home in NJ in the near future. The house is in pretty good condition but has original everything from 20 years ago. I plan on renovating the kitchen and baths at a later date to EnergyStar items, so my first try at "green" adventures are headed towards heating and cooling.
Here is what I plan to do within the first 5-6 months:
1) add radiant barrier to attic (to reflect IR heat), I plan to install this on my own
2) install whole house fan (to pull in cooler outside air), I plan to install this on my own
3) change first floor heating from forced hot air to under floor hot water radiant heat (main level furnace needs replacement and radiant heating is more efficient and comfortable) currently getting estimates from contractors
4) update water heater to tankless water heater (suppose to save money also) getting estimates on this also
5) heat pump to help supplement the efficiencies for heating and cooling (not sure of this technology yet, still doing research)
Let me know if these are good to start with and if any of you have had any experiences you would like to share, please do.
Get Help from Bob Vila
- Give-Aways & Offers
- Monthly Must Do's
- DIY Project Ideas
- Step-by-Step Guides
- Inspirational Photo Galleries