Latest Discussions : Electrical & Lighting


02:42PM | 08/02/03
Member Since: 08/01/03
2 lifetime posts
My entire apt (lights and outlets) runs on a single 15 amp fuse, except for the fridge and the A/C. The A/C is on a 220 with 2 separate 20 amp fuses. Unfortunately my new AC is a 110 / 15v unit. (the only model that would fit into the existing sleeve and cool the apt sufficiently) Is it possible to inexpensively convert the outlet to 110? would it be easier to have the ac converted to 220? or is there any stepdown transformer and plug adapters that i can buy to covert the power myself? Thanks

Tom O

03:01PM | 08/02/03
Member Since: 09/17/02
476 lifetime posts
Since you live in an apartment, you should ask your landlord to bring in an electrician to make the conversion.

The cost should be nominal.

If you don't own this building,you probably shouldn't be modifying the electrical system on your own.


03:10PM | 08/02/03
Member Since: 09/01/00
312 lifetime posts
Most air conditioners used to cool an entire apartment require 220 due to their size,therefore a smaller 110 will not cool as well.At any rate,as mentioned,you need to discuss this with the landlord.


02:15AM | 08/03/03
Member Since: 08/01/03
2 lifetime posts
Actually I DO own the apartment (it is a coop/condo) -

I would have thought that a 220 unit would be necessary to sufficiently cool the space, but my current 220 unit is only 10,700 btus and the new 110v unit is actually 12,500 btu. (with a much more energy efficient rating)

To make matters more complicated, the thru-the-wall sleeve is a VERY unusual size and there is not another 220 unit available to fit in the space.

It appears to me, that my best option is to convert the 220 outlet. (assuming it can be done safely and at a fair price)

i did find a webpage that describes a plug adapter that apparently converts a 220 outlet to 110 - but it is advertised as being for gas ranges - i'm not sure if this product would work for an A/C.

[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited August 04, 2003).]

Dave Nix

01:35PM | 08/03/03
Member Since: 04/12/03
2 lifetime posts

No, this will not work.
You really do need an electrician. You really do not need a shocking experience!


07:09PM | 08/04/03
Member Since: 05/11/03
62 lifetime posts
Please heed the warnings and hire a professional. It can be cheaper in the long run! The 240v outlet can be converted to 120v., but this is not a homeowner job unless you are very expierienced with electricity and wiring. Mr. Electric

Post a reply as Anonymous

Photo must be in JPG, GIF or PNG format and less than 5MB.

Reply choose button


Post new button or Login button