Latest Discussions : Electrical & Lighting


02:47PM | 06/20/07
Member Since: 06/19/07
4 lifetime posts
In remodeling my kitchen, I need to move the range. Present wiring is not long enough from the circuit box. Where can i get new wiring or will I have to have an electrical contractor move the wiring?


10:52PM | 06/20/07
Member Since: 01/09/07
199 lifetime posts
You can simply run a wire from the current location of the stove to the new location. But some qualifications:

- this new wire must be at least the same size as the existing wires.

- the connection at the spot where the old stove was must be made in an appropriate electrical box, and that box must remain accessible -- meaning that there is a blank cover there that can be removed to get at the wires. It can NOT be under flooring or wall paneling or plasterboard, etc. Under most local codes, it can be behind a new set of counters, but only if the counters are easily movable (not attached in place) or if you cut a hole in the back of the counter opening thru to the electrical box.

You will have to run the new wire from the old stove location inside walls or under the floor to the new location -- unless you are remodeling a lot of the kitchen that may be difficult to do. Depending on the location of the old & new stoves, and the main breaker box, it may be easier to just run a new line back to the box.

doug seibert

05:52AM | 06/21/07
Member Since: 08/10/02
842 lifetime posts
You can extend a 4-wire feed to the stove .....

but code does not allow extending a "grandfathered" 3-wire feed......

"...measure once.....cut twice....throw that one away and cut a new one...."


12:12PM | 06/21/07
Member Since: 06/19/07
4 lifetime posts
Greatly appreciate the replies that I have received. One question not answered was: where do I get the wire. Home Depot and Lowes do not have it. Any thoughts?


04:29PM | 06/21/07
Member Since: 04/25/05
1915 lifetime posts
I have seen it at the big box stores.

But if they don't have it you will need to go to an electrical supply housel.


07:12AM | 06/22/07
Member Since: 06/19/07
4 lifetime posts
I am embarrassed to ask: WHAT IS A BIG BOX STORE?


10:42AM | 06/22/07
Member Since: 03/31/05
265 lifetime posts
What you will need to extend the wires is 6/3 or 8/3 (with ground) cable. If you have anything else, then you cannot extend, you must run new from the panel (assuming you do not have all wire in conduit).

Post a reply as Anonymous

Photo must be in JPG, GIF or PNG format and less than 5MB.

Reply choose button


Post new button or Login button