Latest Discussions : Flooring & Stairs

Kentucky101

04:34PM | 02/15/03
Member Since: 02/14/03
1 lifetime posts
My husband and I are interested in a house.. built in 1981. Its a brick home. The realtor says that there is no vapor barrier in the crawl space and the crawl space is very small. There is a "severe mold problem" as well. The floors are rotting in the bathroom, utility and kitchen. We are getting the house at a steal.. 45,000 for a 3br 2 bath brick home in a prime location. How difficult is it to get rid of mold and put new flooring in a home. We are new at this and plan on hiring a professional, we just don't want to be completely ingnorant of the conditions/problems associated with the solving of these problems. Thanks everyone for any help!!

carpetman

06:28PM | 02/15/03
Member Since: 01/26/03
542 lifetime posts
#1...look up toxic mold in you search engine. talk to your insuramce agent, its possible you will be unable to get insurance or financing for this house. in some cases the houses with this problem have been burned down. the problem will not end with the floors ,it will be in the walls as well. be very ,very careful....good luck

Lawrence

10:25AM | 02/19/03
Member Since: 11/14/00
333 lifetime posts
In short, you should not dismiss it out of hand because mold is not toxic except in very rare, extreme cases. It can be treated and removed even in those cases. If the home is a really great deal, you should jump on it with the understanding that you will need to put a bit extra effort/money into removing the mold. You should also pay very close attention to how habitually clean you keep the home for the first few years: using air filters and cleaning with bleach regularly.

It is also impossible to give you an accurate assessment of how much it will cost over the Internet because we have not seen the house and do not know what contractors in your area charge. Because you plan to hire it out, you should definitely consult with contractors in your area BEFORE purchasing it so as to get a more accurate sense of how much it will cost to replace.

Mold is the asbestos-fad of the turn of the millenium, hyped by trial attorneys and sensationalist media types. The hype around it contains many false rumors, exaggerations, and outright lies. Mold has existed for centuries in homes, but only recently have people made inflated claims that it is "toxic" and lethal. In the most rare, extreme cases, you find the rare, dangerous types of mold or the ordinary mold can get so bad that it poses a serious health hazard. But mold usually is little more than a foul smell that can be eliminated through routine cleaning (with bleach) and air filtration/circulation.

That said, mold definitely is not a good thing to have in a home. Mold can contribute to respitory problems in people with allegies or athsma. I recently put my new home through a gut rehab, in part to find the source of the mold smell because I have asthsma. I ended up tearing down several walls to find all the mold. The main source was in the A/C plenum because of a leak and the fact that the A/C was turned off for months, allowing the mold to grow. That same leak allowed mold to grow in the walls, on the studs, etc.

The only thing that eliminates mold and its spores completely is bleach. I treated the studs with bleach, painted them with mold-resistant paint, and put up new drywall. (I also did other renovations inside the walls, including plumbing and electrical work, so it was not exclusively to eliminate mold... more of a "while I'm in here" type of endeavor.)

You can also use ultraviolet radiation or dehumidifiers to kill mold. Mold evoloved to thrive without sunlight, but it still needs moisture/high humidity to thrive. If you expose it to UV light or dehumidify the area, you will kill the existing mold, but the spores will remain to develop if darkness and humidity ever return to that area. You can dehumidify with a dehumidifier or with chemicals similar to the chemicals in those small packets you find in clothing or foods.

If your problem is severe, you can expect to need to rip down some walls to kill the existing mold by applying bleach to it. If it is only in the crawl space, though, you can just douse it with bleach, place a UV lamp in there for a while to kill what remains, and de-humidify it. A dehumidifier in the home for a few weeks also will help to eliminate the humidity that mold needs to thrive.

Mold can also contribute to weakening studs and structural support, but that is usually accompanied by wood rot from the same moisture/ high humidity in which molds thrives, not from the mold, itself. When a home is burned down due to mold, it is because the home is not worth much, to begin with, such that the cost of renovation to eliminate the mold exceeds the value of the home.

[This message has been edited by Lawrence (edited February 19, 2003).]

willies all thumbs

03:41PM | 02/19/03
Member Since: 10/03/02
55 lifetime posts
Excellent post lawrence. If its limited to the crawl space, its likely that lack of ventilation or drainage is the problem. A home inspection specialist may be a worthwhile investment. After thought, if rotting is occuring in wet areas (kit/baths) plumbing leaks could be suspect,

BV016754

08:58PM | 06/30/18
@Lawrence "The only thing that eliminates mold and its spores completely is bleach."

This is a grossly untrue statement. Beyond the fact that bleach is highly toxic (people have grown far to comfortable with drenching everything in bleach), it also has a very large molecular structure and cannot penetrate deep enough into dense porous materials such as wood or drywall to effectively reach a number of molds that can burrow deeply into a damp/wet surface. In those cases, you're even better off using distilled white vinegar, which also prevents regrowth.

There are a number of non-toxic products available that create an antimicrobial viscous film layer that completely suffocates the mold as it dries. My favorite, and the same product used by MANY reputable mold remediation experts, is called Concrobium Mold Remover. It comes in a bottle with a 1/2 blue, 1/2 green colored label and says "Mold Control" in large print on the front. You can get it at just about any hardware/department store like Wal-Mart, Lowes, or Home Depot.

Your best bet is to call a contractor/mold remediation company to do a "fair cost estimate". You should be clear that you are hiring a different company to do the work, but you want a non-biased estimate of what the repairs should cost.

An even better option is to hire a company that does mold testing ONLY, but does not offer remediation services. It will cost between $200 - $1000 to have the home tested, but most of these companies can tell you how bad your mold problem really is, what kinds of mold you have and at what levels in different areas, as well as provide resources to determine the work needed and a cost estimate for remediation.

You're likely looking at a gut and replace situation for all flooring and walls, insulation, carpet and possibly even studs and floor joists in severe cases. If the mold infestation has become too severe, it may even be cheaper to demo the existing home and build new.

However, if you don't suffer from asthma, a weakened immune system, or mold sensitivity, remediation and removal could be a viable solution.


Post a reply as Anonymous

Photo must be in JPG, GIF or PNG format and less than 5MB.

Reply choose button

Anonymous

Post new button or Login button
Register