- Bob Vila TV Shows >
- Modular Mountain Retreat > Episode 1: Modular Home Construction and Site Preparation
Building a Modular Home
Project: Modular Mountain Retreat, Episode 1, Part 1
Simplex Industries is building the home in Scranton, PA. Bob visits the Simplex factory to witness the the prefab process. Pat Fricchione, Jr., owner of Simplex, tells Bob the history of the company, remarking on how the image of modular construction has changed over the years.
While touring the building site, Bob gives an overview of the rustic Berkshires area before joining general contractor Michael Shiels to discuss the foundation prep work that is underway.
- Part 1: Building a Modular Home
- Bob meets with Pat Fricchione from Simplex Industries of Scranton, PA to discuss the modular home industry, specifically in western Massachusetts (though Simplex delivers homes all over the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic states).
Today's modular homes are designed to meet the needs of the modern discriminating homebuyer. The materials used in a modular home are essentially the same as those used in a site-built one.
Modular homes can be customized or built from existing floor plans. (Plus, the homeowner gets the advantage of buying in bulk for all the materials in the home). And it's always perfect weather in the factory, so there are no delays due to rain or snow.
A typical home can be built in a week at the factory and delivered to the home site in ready-to-assemble pieces.
- Part 2: A Visit to the Berkshires
- Part 3: Site Work Preparing for Precast Foundation
The house goes down the assembly line from framing, through wiring and plumbing, all the way to the installation of flooring and priming for paint.
The house is trucked to its pre-fabricated foundations on the lot, and start all the finishing touches that will prove that a modular house doesn't have to be a cookie-cutter affair.
ALL EPISODES IN MODULAR MOUNTAIN RETREAT