- Bob Vila TV Shows >
- Modular Mountain Retreat > Episode 3: Modular Construction, Wiring, and Drywall
Tour of the Simplex Modular Home Factory
Project: Modular Mountain Retreat, Episode 3, Part 1
Tasks that are also ongoing include spackling and sanding, installing insulation, applying wall and roof sheathing, plus house wrapping and interior trim work.
Leviton structured wire boxes, which will form the backbone of the home's voice and data system, are also being installed, while, at the Simplex stair shop, the staircase for the project houses is being carefully assembled.
- Part 1: Tour of the Simplex Modular Home Factory
- Bob tours the Simplex Industries manufacturing facility where the plant workers are precutting all the plywood. The efficiencies enabled by using large industrial saws to make precision cuts save the homeowner time and money.
Dave Boniello from Simplex guides Bob to where construction of the interior and exterior walls is taking place. (Modular homes are built from the inside out. Instead of starting with the exterior framing, roof, and sheathing, construction of a modular home starts with the interior walls and drywall).
The wallboard is glued and screwed to the stud walls, which have additional steel plates to maintain rigidity during transport.
Bob points out that the inspection process for a modular home is different than for a site-built home, as local inspectors would be hard-pressed to visit the Simplex plant in Pennsylvania. Simplex hires independent inspectors that are certified in multiple states.
- Part 2: High-Speed Drywall Finishing
- Part 3: Building a Custom Modular Staircase
The house goes down the assembly line from framing, through wiring and plumbing, all the way to the installation of flooring and priming for paint.
The house is trucked to its pre-fabricated foundations on the lot, and start all the finishing touches that will prove that a modular house doesn't have to be a cookie-cutter affair.
ALL EPISODES IN MODULAR MOUNTAIN RETREAT