- Bob Vila TV Shows >
- Modular Mountain Retreat > Episode 8: Direct Vent Heat and Composite Deck Materials
Direct-Vent Fireplace Installation
Project: Modular Mountain Retreat, Episode 8, Part 1
Out on the back deck, Jim Precht and his crew are installing a new Weyerhaeuser ChoiceDek composite deck and railing system. The low-maintenance decking is made from recycled wood and plastic and does not require a stain or finish.
- Part 1: Direct-Vent Fireplace Installation
- Jack Murdock from RMI and Craig Ryans demonstrate how simple it is to have gas appliances and heat in a rural location. With a 500-gallon underground or exterior tank, enough fuel is stored on site for most common uses and requires just a few fill-ups a year.
The stove being installed, a Vermont Castings product, uses a direct vent technology that draws no interior air to aid in combustion. The unit pulls air from outside through a cylinder pipe and releases exhaust outside, as a typical furnace would.
- Part 2: Composite Deck Installation
- Part 3: Composite Deck Railing Installation
The house goes down the assembly line from framing, through wiring and plumbing, all the way to the installation of flooring and priming for paint.
The house is trucked to its pre-fabricated foundations on the lot, and start all the finishing touches that will prove that a modular house doesn't have to be a cookie-cutter affair.
ALL EPISODES IN MODULAR MOUNTAIN RETREAT