- Bob Vila TV Shows >
- Modular Mountain Retreat > Episode 10: Berkshires Architecture, Shakespeare & Co., and Structured Wiring
Structured Wiring Explained
Project: Modular Mountain Retreat, Episode 10, Part 1
Before heading to the project site, Bob visits one of the area's artistic centers-- Shakespeare and Company. Director and Founder Tina Packer gives Bob a tour of the grounds and an overview of the company's various theater programs.
Returning to the project house, Bob takes a final tour of the interior. KitchenAid appliances have been installed, as well as Bellawood pre-finished flooring. Woodport interior doors have been hung. Also, Bob reviews how the structured wiring for the house was installed back at the factory in Pennsylvania.
- Part 1: Structured Wiring Explained
- Joe Kreis from MJ Cordaro Electric Company explains the installation of a Leviton structured wire system. The system is designed to seamlessly allow the transmission of data, phone, and cable signals within the home.
The home was pre-wired for this system back at the Simplex factory. Once the modular pieces were assembled, all that's necessary is plugging into a central control panel. Each bundle of wires runs from an individual room's networking box directly to the home's central system.
- Part 2: Tour of the Gilded Age Cottages of the Berkshire Hills
- Part 3: Touring Shakespeare & Company in Lenox, MA
The house goes down the assembly line from framing, through wiring and plumbing, all the way to the installation of flooring and priming for paint.
The house is trucked to its pre-fabricated foundations on the lot, and start all the finishing touches that will prove that a modular house doesn't have to be a cookie-cutter affair.
ALL EPISODES IN MODULAR MOUNTAIN RETREAT