- Bob Vila TV Shows >
- Modern Colonial > Episode 19: Workshops and Woodworking
Building Planter Boxes
Project: Modern Colonial, Episode 19, Part 1
In Wilmington, DE, Bob tours the historic Dominy Workshop at Winterthur, An American Country Estate founded by Henry Francis du Pont. The museum curator Greg Landry shows Bob their display of pre-industrial tools.
Back in Massachusetts Bob tours The North Bennet Street School in Boston and visits the locksmithing classroom. At the project house, Ryley is installing the Baldwin locksets on the front door.
- Part 1: Building Planter Boxes
- Bob Ryley is in the garage workshop building a planter box for the sunroom. Using a compass to draw intersecting circles, Ryley creates a simple pattern for the legs of the box. Next, he scores the line with a knife before cutting with a saber saw. The legs are joined to the main boards with biscuits and some wood glue.
To make the end pieces, Ryley again uses a compass to create the outline, then cuts the pattern with a saber saw. The end pieces are attached with glue and some nails. Finally, the bottom board is laid inside the box and nailed in place.
When it's complete, Bob and Ryley move it to its new home under the picture window and add some potted plants.
- Part 2: The Dominy Workshop at Winterthur Garden
- Part 3: Locksmithing at the North Bennet Street School
- Part 4: Door Lock Installation
ALL EPISODES IN MODERN COLONIAL