- Bob Vila TV Shows >
- Modern Colonial > Episode 21: Wood Floor Finishing
Sanding Wood Floors
Project: Modern Colonial, Episode 21, Part 1
- Part 1: Sanding Wood Floors
- In the sunroom, Howard Brickman is at work sanding the floors. Starting with a drum sander, he begins sanding the floor at a 20-degree angle to get the surface flat and smooth. Next, he runs the sander with the grain to maintain an even finish. (Brickman stresses the importance of using the proper sequence with the abrasives).
For this particular floor, Brickman will use 2 different grits, although it is not unusual to use 3 or more. After finishing with the drum sander, Howard uses an edger/spinner to get in close to the walls. The key to using the edger is to practice smooth, elliptical motions that keep the surface even.
- Part 2: Touring the Hancock Land Company Sustainable Forestry Operation
- Part 3: Finishing a Wood Floor
ALL EPISODES IN MODERN COLONIAL