- Bob Vila TV Shows >
- Manhattan Remodel and Cape Cod Affordable > Episode 13: Installing Pre-Hung Doors, Hardwood Floors, and Gutters
Pre-Hung Affordable Doors and Installing Pre-Primed Wood Molding
Project: Manhattan Remodel and Cape Cod Affordable, Episode 13, Part 4
- Part 1: Installing a Therma-Tru Pre-Hung Door
- Part 2: Discussing the Bellawood Maple Hardwood Floor
- Part 3: LeafGuard Gutters Installed
- Part 4: Pre-Hung Affordable Doors and Installing Pre-Primed Wood Molding
- Bob points out that one huge aspect of affordability is doors, windows, and trim stock. He is joined by Lou Trottier of Martin Namco at one of the Mashpee, Massachusetts, affordable homes. Trottier explains the construction and benefits of a Jeld-Wen molded wood-fiber pre-hung door. This door comes pre-hung, pre-trimmed, and ready to install right out of the box. It is made completely from reclaimed wood fibers that are molded into skins to form the two faces of the door. Wood blocks behind the panels and a wood perimeter give it stablility. Jeld-Wen produces both hollow-core and solid-core molded wood-fiber doors. The solid-core version reduces sound transmission by 50 percent. The trim on these doors is primed, finger-jointed wood. The hollow-core Jeld-Wen door sells for about $85 including the lockset. Peter Anderson of Stock Supply joins Bob as the pre-primed, Colonial-style molding is installed in one of the Mashpee, Massachusetts, affordable homes. This finger-jointed wood molding has a Colonial profile and comes to the site pre-primed, ready for cutting and installation. The savings come with the cost of the molding and the time and labor savings on site. Quick measurements are taken against the window, and the molding is cut and nailed in place with a nailgun.
At the same time, Bob works with a Cape Cod developer to apply Massachusetts land use statute 40B to create affordable housing, and a neighborhood of homes in Mashpee, MA. These Energy Star certified homes show how quality building practices and reasonable asking prices can work together to provide livable, affordable homes and neighborhoods to those who work in our communities.
ALL EPISODES IN MANHATTAN REMODEL AND CAPE COD AFFORDABLE