- Bob Vila TV Shows >
- Vermont Farmhouse > Episode 4: Framing and Wiring for the Future
Building a Hip Roof
Project: Vermont Farmhouse, Episode 4, Part 1
- Part 1: Building a Hip Roof
- Bob talks with lead framing carpenter Dan Enright as he and his crew work on the shed roof over the kitchen/family room area. What complicates the job is that the shed roof ends at the corner in a hip. This means the hip rafter will determine the lengths of all the different final rafters.
Bob points out that, when framing a hip, it's important to alternately counter a rafter from one side with one from the other in order to prevent bowing out the hip rafter. With the rafters in place, the only thing left to do is add OSB sheathing.
- Part 2: Structured Wiring Options
- Part 3: Touring NASA's Johnson Space Center
- Part 4: Garage Truss Construction
Bob works with the Quechee Lakes Development Company to build a residence that hearkens back to the past yet satisfies the needs of a family in the new millennium.
ALL EPISODES IN VERMONT FARMHOUSE