- Bob Vila TV Shows >
- Vermont Farmhouse > Episode 6: Flooring and Interior Trim
Hard Maple Flooring Installation
Project: Vermont Farmhouse, Episode 6, Part 2
- Part 1: Drywall Installation
- Part 2: Hard Maple Flooring Installation
- Bob checks out Shaw's Chateau wood flooring, which contractor David LaFosse and his crew are about to install in the great room. It's solid rock maple from Canada, pre-finished with a clear, water-based finish.
David starts the layout at the hearth, because it's the room's focal point. He makes a double border around the fireplace with a squared joint on the first row and a mitered one on the second. The first board of the field is placed up against the hearth border.
The boards are picked at random, based on their length, creating a continuous piece from one end of the room to the other. Adding a spline gives the first board a tongue on both sides making it possible to lay boards in either direction.
The crew lays out 100 boards at a time, making sure that the joints are staggered before they begin nailing. One of the advantages of a factory pre-finished floor is that it is very resistant to abrasion and requires less maintenance than a traditional hardwood floor finished on site.
- Part 3: Trimming Out Double-Hung Windows
Bob works with the Quechee Lakes Development Company to build a residence that hearkens back to the past yet satisfies the needs of a family in the new millennium.
ALL EPISODES IN VERMONT FARMHOUSE