- Bob Vila TV Shows >
- Vermont Farmhouse > Episode 8: Finish Trim and Cabinet Installation
Reviewing Energy Efficient Products in the Home
Project: Vermont Farmhouse, Episode 8, Part 2
Next, it's off to Cobb Hill again, where Bob and general contractor Mark Albee tour the interior of one of finished units checking out the high performance windows and other energy efficient features.
Back on site, carpenter Bob Ryley is installing window trim in the master bathroom as well as cherry vanity cabinets from Crown Point.
- Part 1: Building the Fireplace
- Part 2: Reviewing Energy Efficient Products in the Home
- At the Cobb Hill co-housing community, Bob and general contractor Mark Albee look at some of the energy efficient and eco-friendly products in use.
The home's large south-facing windows provide significant passive solar gain. They are Thermotech pultruded fiberglass windows from Canada and have Styrofoam insulation in them.
For cost reasons Mark is using Thermotech's double glazed window with one low-e coating. Because the glass and fiberglass have a similar expansion coefficient you get a window that is tight through all seasons.
The flooring is yellow birch from a mill in Maine. It's a certified sustainable product that is made from short pieces that would ordinarily be discarded.
- Part 3: Trimming Out Bathroom Windows
- Part 4: Crown Point Bathroom Cabinets Installation
Bob works with the Quechee Lakes Development Company to build a residence that hearkens back to the past yet satisfies the needs of a family in the new millennium.
ALL EPISODES IN VERMONT FARMHOUSE