- Bob Vila TV Shows >
- Vermont Farmhouse > Episode 11: Kitchen Update and Bathroom Tile Installation
Installing the Dishwasher, Sink, and Garbage Disposal
Project: Vermont Farmhouse, Episode 11, Part 2
In the bathroom, beautiful Shaw is being used. Offsite, Bob tours the Sumner Mansion in Hartland, VT with Professor Tom Visser, to learn more about historic Vermont Federal-style homes.
- Part 1: Convection Oven Installation
- Part 2: Installing the Dishwasher, Sink, and Garbage Disposal
- Plumbing and heating contractor Doug Buchanan is ready to install, among other appliances, the Kenmore Elite dishwasher. The dishwasher has a very clean design, with the electronics panel on the top of the lid, where it's hidden from view under the counter. The interior of the dishwasher has been configured so that it can accommodate large 13-inch plates, and the slide-out shelf for glassware can be lowered a notch to fit champagne flutes and other tall glassware.
The dishwasher has a standard plug-in for 110 current, and a drain line that is already pre-drilled in the cabinet. While old-style dishwashers have a drain solenoid, the new styles (like this Kenmore Elite) have a pump. The water feed is made of stainless steel flexible line. With wheels on the back like a shopping cart, the dishwasher can be rolled right into place.
The plumber is also installing a Kohler Dickinson sink. Because of its depth, this sink presents some unique problems for garbage disposer installation.
Doub has already installed the basket strainer for the disposer. Next, he gets under the sink and slips the disposer into position. There's a gasket there, which holds it into place with a clip. To lower the sink, he needs to modify the S-trap. Once modified, it attaches with a nylon washer.
The last step is to attach the dishwasher line to the disposer as all the waste from the dishwasher needs to go through the disposer.
- Part 3: Antique Brick Work at the Burtch-Udall House and Sumner Mansion
- Part 4: Reviewing the Bathroom Tile and Fixtures
Bob works with the Quechee Lakes Development Company to build a residence that hearkens back to the past yet satisfies the needs of a family in the new millennium.
ALL EPISODES IN VERMONT FARMHOUSE