- Bob Vila TV Shows >
- Victorian Restoration > Episode 4: Electrical Systems and Wiring and Upstairs Framing
Interior Framing and Bathtub Installation
Project: Victorian Restoration, Episode 4, Part 3
- Part 1: First Floor Framing and Barn Renovation/Demolition
- Part 2: Shoring Up the Attic With Supports
- Part 3: Interior Framing and Bathtub Installation
- Most of the space on the first floor has been opened up to give the house a 21st-century lifestyle feel. The family room addition has bumped out the original house two feet, and at an angle.
The framing of the addition begins with the construction of a deck with pressure-treated 2 x 10s, anchored to the existing frame and set on concrete footings in the ground. Once the deck is up, the walls are framed with 2x4s.
Next, workers attach plywood sheeting to the exterior to stabilize the structure. Support for the 2nd floor has been engineered using laminated veneer lumber attached to 6 x 6 clear fir posts, which transfer the weight from above to the new footing below.
On the second floor, Bob helps the general contractor install a window in the master bathroom. Also in the master bathroom, a Kohler "Champagne" bathtub is being installed. The tub is designed to be filled to the brim, so the framing must support the additional weight of the extra water. The water circulation mechanism produces an action that's more like champagne bubbles than that of a normal spa.
- Part 4: Installing French Doors
The home's new owners, a work-at-home family, have set goals to modernize the home's floor plan, update the building's mechanical and electrical systems, and add home office and work spaces for two busy professionals.
ALL EPISODES IN VICTORIAN RESTORATION