- Bob Vila TV Shows >
- Victorian Restoration > Episode 11: Landscaping Begins, Flooring Continues, and Water Heater Installed
Reviewing the Home's High-Velocity Mini-Duct HVAC System
Project: Victorian Restoration, Episode 11, Part 2
Down in the basement, Bob tours the home's mechanical and electrical systems, including the high-velocity air conditioning system and the zoned hot water heating system.
On the second floor, new Kahrs interlocking wood floors are being installed. In an effort to preserve some of the home's original wood detailing, Cole Stanton (from Fiberlock) is applying a lead encapsulating paint to the window trim.
- Part 1: Discussing the Plantings on the Property
- Part 2: Reviewing the Home's High-Velocity Mini-Duct HVAC System
- In the basement of the Victorian restoration project home, there are five SpacePak units that, with their state-of-the-art foil-wrapped ductwork, deliver conditioned air at high speeds throughout the house.
The brand new RBI gas-fired boiler provides the BTUs to heat the house, and a John Wood water heater is responsible for hot water production within the residence.
Barry Driscoll is in the basement installing a state-of-the-art surge protector from Square D. Barry hooks up a main surge protector for the whole house that will take care of all the appliances, electronics, and anything else that could be damaged. This eliminates the need for individual surge protectors on separate appliances.
Barry is also installing an arc fault detector. These units (now required by the new national electrical code for branch circuits in bedrooms) protect against fires from arcing caused by damaged wires (if you hit a wire while hanging a picture), deteriorating electrical insulation, stressed electrical cords, or misapplied or damaged appliance use.
- Part 3: Installing the White Oak Flooring
- Part 4: Installing the Medicine Cabinet
- Part 5: Encapsulating Lead Paint
The home's new owners, a work-at-home family, have set goals to modernize the home's floor plan, update the building's mechanical and electrical systems, and add home office and work spaces for two busy professionals.
ALL EPISODES IN VICTORIAN RESTORATION