- Bob Vila TV Shows >
- Habitat for Humanity > Episode 5: Sheathing and Shingling the Roof
Installing Dimensional Asphalt Shingles
Project: Habitat for Humanity, Episode 5, Part 1
Deane Evans (from the Partnership to Advance Technology in Homes) and Ren Anderson (from the National Renewable Energy Lab) talk with Bob about special photovoltaic shingles, which convert solar energy into electricity. Bob and Ren begin applying the shingles to the shed roof, before Bob heads to Global Solar in Tucson, AZ to learn more about how photo voltaic film is manufactured.
- Part 1: Installing Dimensional Asphalt Shingles
- Carpenter Bob Ryley demonstrates the installation of architectural-grade dimensional asphalt shingles on the roof of the Habitat for Humanity Blitz Build house in Yonkers, NY.
- Part 2: Photovoltaic Roofing Shingles Installed
- Part 3: Manufacturing Photovoltaic Devices at the Global Solar Factory
Bob Vila introduces the latest in sustainable materials and efficient building techniques on a Habitat for Humanity build. This project documents a five-day process that transformed an empty lot into a snug, comfortable, and sustainable home in Yonkers, NY.
ALL EPISODES IN HABITAT FOR HUMANITY