- Bob Vila TV Shows >
- Elmwood Neighborhood > Episode 1: Kitchen Project Begins
Flooring, Plumbing, and Plastering
Project: Elmwood Neighborhood, Episode 1, Part 3
In the historic Elmwood neighborhood of Providence, RI, Bob talks with Mary Turkel and Bob Major (from the Providence Preservation Cooperative) about the changes taking place in the area. Bob also meets Jane and Luke Driver, whose kitchen renovation is one of the smaller scale projects Bob plans to cover. As demolition work begins, so too does plumbing and electrical. Also to come is a new kitchen floor made from reclaimed Pine.
- Part 1: Overview of the Elmwood Neighborhood Project
- Part 2: House One: Tour of a Gothic Carpenter-Style Home
- Part 3: Flooring, Plumbing, and Plastering
- The old flooring in the Gothic Carpenter-style home in Elmwood has been removed. "Sleepers" are placed in the subfloor to level the surface. Next, some Georgia Pacific "Sturdy Floor" is laid down.
Carpenters Neal Cummings and Al Kaplan are installing LVL (Laminated Veneer Lumber) beams, which are 50% sturdier than conventional lumber.
Chis Stewart (from Gem Plumbing) talks with Bob in the basement about the removal of stack pipes and insertion of PVC.
On the main floor, the framing is complete, leaving the area open for the kitchen remodel. The plaster team from Kent Plastering comes in to install the blue board and cover the joints with mesh tape.
- Part 4: Installing a Reclaimed Pine Floor
The theme of community building in the historic Elmwood neighborhood of Providence, RI, is the focus of this project. Rather than tackling one house, Bob Vila is helping 11 neighbors tackle smaller projects like porches, kitchens, bathrooms, and even a third-floor artist's studio.
ALL EPISODES IN ELMWOOD NEIGHBORHOOD
MOST POPULAR CLIPS
HOUSE & GARDEN TOURS
More From Bob Vila