- Bob Vila TV Shows >
- Elmwood Neighborhood > Episode 4: Sunroom and Hot Tub
Home Three: Roof Deck and Hot Tub Installation Project
Project: Elmwood Neighborhood, Episode 4, Part 1
Homeowners Peter Karczmar and Cathy Lund have been working with restoration contractor Joe Wagner. Joe has done a great deal of work in the sunroom to reinforce the deck above, so it can support a hot tub. (Also, Forester Moulding has created reproductions of the deck's original railings).
- Part 1: Home Three: Roof Deck and Hot Tub Installation Project
- Bob visits the third Elmwood project house, an eclectic Queen Anne home sometimes known as "The Castle of Elmwood". The house has a slate roof, a finial on top of the turret, and the overhand of the French-style roof is bracketed in an Italianate manner.
The house was built by a wealthy tailor, John Trep, and has many different influences and original touches that survive, such as faux finishes and Lincrusta.
The homeowners want to bring back the railing that originally sat on the sunroof. They also want to install a hot tub on the sunroof, the weight of which requires that the roof be restructured.
Contractor Joe Wagner (from Providence Restructuring) has performed the roof demolition of the roof, by pulling multiple layers off the old roofing structure-- canvas, pitch, and rubber. The new roof structure will incorporate International Paper laminated veneer lumber (LVL) replacement beams.
- Part 2: Hot Tub Installation
- Part 3: Installing a Railing on the Hot Tub Deck
- Part 4: Laying Down the Mahogany Deck and Final Tour of Third House
ALL EPISODES IN ELMWOOD NEIGHBORHOOD